Chapter 8

Chapter 8

You wake up to someone shaking you. "Hey kid you need to get up." You simply groan in response. "We are at the safe house I told you about."

You sigh and sit up. As soon as you do all the memories of what you saw return. You hold yourself and quietly hum while walking with Clint. He puts an arm around you in a comforting way to calm you. "I... still very... sorry about what... have done."

"I already told you that wasn't your fault kiddo. Now come on there are some people I want you to meet."

"Really? Who?"

"I'll show you."

He leads you with him out of the quinjet and you see a beautiful farm house. He keeps his arm around you protecting you like a father protects his own. He must have children you thought.

He guides you into the house and calls out "Honey, I'm home!" Then a pregnant woman walks in. "Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead."

The woman addresses no one in particular and says "hey."

Stark makes a comment to Blondie you don't quite hear and you ask Clint "is... one of... people you wanted me to meet?"

"Yes she is. Gentlemen and Lady this is Laura."

"I know all your names. Except for you."

"Y/n Maximoff." You shake her hand.

You hear footsteps "Ooh, incoming." Two kids come running in.

"Dad! " A little girl calls out. Clint lifts her up.

"Hi, sweetheart! Hey, buddy! How are you guys doing? Ooh..." you watch the scene go on. It reminds you of when you were young. It also sends sadness to your heart. You don't know why. "Look at your face! Oh, my goodness!"

Everyone but you and Natasha look shocked.

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?"

"Why don't you hug her and find out?"

That explains her lack of shock. She is family to him. You continue to watch them for a minute and see Natasha speak to Laura. Then she whispers something to the baby bump.

"You children... v-v um very that word. They... cute." You tried to complement Laura's children. Why did I have to have a problem now? "I sorry about that. This not my best language."

"That's fine dear."

"How far along are you?" You gesture to her stomach.

"7 months."

"Congratulations. Do you know if... if... it a boy or girl?"

"Boy."

"Poor girl she going to be outnumbered. Then again my brother has to deal with two sisters." You smile sadly thinking about your family. Then you think about Laura the poor thing all alone out here having to take care of her children and clean up. Now she has guests in her home. "Do you need help with anything? Cooking, cleaning literally anything."

"Could you make sure my children don't break anything while I talk to my husband?"

"Of course."

"Also I have some old clothes that might fit you if you want to clean up and change."

"Thank you Mrs. Barton."

"Please just call me Laura."

"Okay Laura. Where are the children you wish for me to watch?"

"They are playing in the other room. If you could just keep an eye on them. It's not that I don't trust them but I don't trust them."

"You sound like my mother used to."

"Anyways after I talk with Clint I'll bring you some clothes and show you the shower. Sounds good?"

"Yes." Laura walks off and you go to the other room to see the children playing with legos.

The little girl looks at you "hi I'm Lila what's your name."

"My name is y/n. Nice... meet you Lila."

"I like your accent. Where are you from?" The boy asks you.

"Sokovia."

"Do you want to play with us?" Lila asks.

"Yes I would. That sounds fun." You sit down on the ground. "So what exactly we doing?"

"We're building houses." Lila answers.

"I'm Cooper by the way." The boy you hadn't been introduced to says.

"Nice to meet you." You look around for a minute not quite sure what to do.

"Have you ever played with legos before?" Cooper asks.

"No not really."

"You put the pieces together like this to form new shapes." Lila explains putting two legos together, clicking them into place with her fingers then adding them to the house.

You get an idea "What if don't want to do it like that." You spin your finger in a circle and red mist appears and slowly clicks the pieces together.

Lika and Cooper immediately think you are the coolest person in the world. They begin to ask you what else you can do, so after asking their mother if you could show them, you go out back and begin to demonstrate.

You see a few rocks and lift them around and break them apart. Then you proceed to speed around their backyard. After a little bit of showing them different things you can do you take them back inside.

Once inside you immediately see Laura "hi y/n." She greets "so I grabbed some clothes for you and now I can show you the shower." She hands you a tee shirt and jeans.

"Is there chance you have something with long sleeves?" you ask. "I get cold easily." You hate to lie to Laura, she is one of the first people in a while to show you kindness, but if she knew the real reason she would probably hate you.

"Of course. Wait here." She goes off and comes back with a long sleeve flannel shirt.

"Thank you Laura you are far too kind." You go shower and change into the clothes Laura provided you. Then go out to the kitchen to see Laura making dinner. "If you want I could help with that."

"Really, that is so kind." She has a sincerity and appreciation in her voice you have not heard in a long time. "If you want to you can chop up the vegetables."

"Of... course." You say walking over to her she grabs you a knife and you start chopping up the various vegetables. After a while you mind drifts to your family. You begin to blame yourself again.

It should have been me. I was the one who couldn't remember the damn word. If I could have just remembered the word maybe we would have known that the shell was going to drop or mama and papa wouldn't have been standing where they were.

These thoughts keep going through your brain then you look down at the blade of the knife you are using. It is rather sharp. It could hurt you if you aren't careful, or if you are careful.