chapter four: not a one time thing

chapter four:
'not a one time thing'

✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸

     AFTER SCHOOL, LEXIE AND ROWAN DROVE TO THE beach in Lexie's car. They tried to find Sarah earlier that day, so they could try to convince her one more time to come with them, but she was no where to be found. And neither of them had classes her that day, so the two girls just went to the beach alone. They thought maybe she would meet them there after Rowan texted her a bunch of times.

     Once they got to the beach, they tried to find a low key place to hide. Luckily, their city wasn't as popular as others on the coast, so there weren't any tourists and barely any people on the beach that day.

     They found a place by a huge rock that could hide sight of them. They waited there for about twenty minutes for Sarah before they came to the conclusion that she wasn't going to show up.

     "Ready?" Lexie asked Rowan.

     She couldn't help it. She was nervous. She first grew the tail earlier in the morning and had been avoiding water all day. Now, she was deliberately walking in to it. She couldn't avoid water forever, though. She loved swimming too much for that.

      Rowan nodded and clutched the blonde's hand. Lexie could tell Rowan was nervous, too, just by that action. Otherwise, she looked so nonchalant about the whole thing.

     The two girls walked past the shoreline and into the water, the waves washing over their feet. They waited impatiently for about ten seconds before it happened... again.

The two teenagers fell onto the wet sand, groaning in discomfort. They were transformed. They had scaly, orange tails in place of their feet, that shined in the sunlight. A scaly bikini-like structure that was part of their skin. It was orange scales, as well. And this time they noticed gills on either side of their necks, making Rowan's face scrunch in disgust.

     "Huh," Rowan started touching her tail, curiously. "Guess this wasn't just a one time thing, was it?"

     "Nope," Lexie replied, mostly in shock.

      "So are we..." Rowan trailed off.

     Lexie shook her head quickly. How could she say the word mermaid and actually mean it? She just couldn't.

"I don't know, but I think we need to get all the way under the water before somebody comes over here and sees us,"

     Rowan nodded and pushed herself deeper into the water with her arms. Lexie followed after her, and soon they were both completely immersed in the water and swam under. Lexie immediately noticed she didn't need air to breathe underwater. She didn't need to breathe at all or maybe she was breathing the water like a fish. She wasn't sure. All she knew was, she didn't need to go to the surface for air.