chapter three: we look a lot like mermaids

chapter three:
we look a lot like mermaids

chapter three:❛we look a lot like mermaids ❜

✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸

THE MORNING AFTER THE INCIDENT SEEMED like any other at first, but Sarah knew something was different. She didn't know exactly what it was, she just had a gut feeling. Turns out, she wasn't wrong. Her gut feelings were almost never wrong.

The brunette had sleepily dragged herself out of her bed and trudged over to her bathroom that was connected to her bedroom. She was nervous of what the day would bring, and she honestly just wanted to sleep for the rest of the day. She was exhausted. She hoped a shower would wake her up.

When she had come home from Calmeda the night before, she was too busy getting a lecture from her parents to have time to shower. She already arrived home almost four hours after her curfew. Because of that, she was grounded for two weeks. Straight to school. Cheer practice every other day. Then, straight home. No hanging with friends. Or doing anything fun, not that she did much of that anyway.

She turned on the shower and waited for it to get warm, staring at herself in the mirror. She grimaced when she looked at her reflection. The salt water from the night before had made her hair dry, matted, and extremely tangled. Not to mention, she slept terribly which clearly showed on her face. There were dark circles under her eyes, and she couldn't even bring herself to smile. She was too tired.

     She turned back to the shower and stuck my hand in to test the temperature. That's when it happened. About ten seconds after, she felt like her legs turned to jelly. She would've face planted on the floor if her hands didn't stop her. She couldn't feel her legs which made sense when she looked back and saw a tail where her legs should've been. A scaly, shiny, orange mermaid-like tail. Then, she looked down to where her shirt used to be and it was replaced by the same scaly, shiny, orange scales that her legs were covered in, but in the shape of a bikini. It was like it grew from her skin. It took everything in her not to scream.

     "What the fuck?" She whispered, staring at the tail. I was in complete and utter shock.

    She instantly knew it had something to do with Calmeda Island, the weird pool, and the moon. She had to talk to Lexie and Rowan before anyone else. Hopefully, the same thing happened to them.

Sarah was almost late to school that morning. After the shocking transformation, it took her a long time to figure out that she had to be completely dry for her legs to magically come back. She was still in shock, and didn't really know how to act. She had barely muttered a word to her parents or brother as she left the house and drove herself to school. But she was determined to do one thing. Talk to Lexie and Rowan, but unfortunately, it would have to wait, because class was starting and she barely made it before the bell rang.