18. Being Nice

-Max-

-Max-

Sky seemed to forget his leg was injured when we finally reached the mall. I never could've thought he could be so excited about visiting a mall. A mall. I had never seen him so excited anywhere else except out in the forest. He was hopping around with his crutches, looking absolutely adorable, but he kept forgetting to be careful with his bad leg. Every time he put too much weight on it, he let out a small whimper and stopped to a halt, closing his eyes in pain.

And every time both Troy and I jumped to his aid.

"Are you all right? You should be more careful! Do you need to sit down? Does it hurt too much? Do you need ice? Should we take you home?"

"Would you two just stop already?" Sky chuckled lightly at one point. "It's not broken; it's just sprained. I'm not dying here."

I didn't know if Sky was just acting brave, but soon after, he seemed like nothing had happened, and soon after that, he forgot to be careful again. Every single time.

"Sky, over here! I promised to get you ice cream," Troy said when he spotted the shop up ahead.

Sky's eyes widened in awe, and once again, he looked like a small, excited child. The two of them vanished inside the shop, while Luke and I stayed outside. Neither of us liked ice cream that much.

"So, what do you think about him?" I asked Luke, who was staring after them.

"Who?" he asked, glancing at me.

"Sky," I said, like he didn't already know who I was talking about.

"Oh," Luke said and turned his attention back to our friends. "He seems like someone dropped him on his head when he was little."

"Why do you have to be so mean to him?" I asked angrily. "Sky is a good guy! You'd see that if you'd just stop acting like an asshole!"

Luke peered at me, gritting his teeth together. Then he sighed. "I know. He seems like a nice kid. A bit weird, but not in a bad way I guess."

"Then why are you so mean to him?" I asked.

"I'm not being mean to him," he hissed, but after a short pause, he sighed. "Fine, I'll be nice to him."

When I took a good look at him, like really looked at him, he seemed out of strength somehow. He turned to look at Sky again. Sky was laughing at something Troy had said, and they both were having fun while waiting in the line.

"Sky just wants to have friends," I said quietly. "You saw him when he was all alone. He looked so sad all the time."

Luke didn't reply to me. He just sighed.

"Are you all right?" I asked hesitantly.

He frowned at me. "Why wouldn't I be?" he grunted.

"You look sad," I noted.