Xu Ran decided to ask about it in the evening.

So Xu Ran went to find Tangtang and Guoguo.

When it was freezing outside, Tangtang and Guoguo would not go out. Initially, it was due to their clothing being too thin to keep them warm outside. Later, it was because they had no one else to play with even if they went out. They didn't spend as much time at home as they used to.

They went out every day, either to play with the other kids in the village or to accompany Gao Quan to the mountain. Gao Quan had visited the mountain so many times that he was even more familiar with it than Liu Tong. Because Gao Quan didn't say anything and Xu Ran didn't inquire, the reason was unknown.

Tangtang and Guoguo was not at home, Shao Yu said that they followed Gao Quan to the mountain.

It hadn't snowed or rained in a few days, but the wind had been howling. Xu Ran wrapped himself in a blanket and set out to find them on the mountain. They normally took two dogs with them when they went out. By simply calling the dogs' names, Xu Ran would know where they were.

"Peach, Plum..." Xu Ran shouted a few times after he went up the mountain; then he heard the woof of two dogs.

Tangtang and Guoguo heard it too. Tangtang tugged on Gao Quan's clothes and said, "Uncle Gao, my Dad is here. I'll let Peach and Plum bring him over."

Gao Quan nodded.

Tangtang patted on the dogs' heads and said, "Peach and Plum, bring Dad over."

The two dogs barked twice before bolting. Tangtang, Guoguo, and Gao Quan arrived to assist in the search for herbs. After locating the plants, Gao Quan intended to give Tangtang a therapeutic bath. It would be good to them both and possibly keep them from becoming poisoned. He had already discussed it with Tangtang and Guoguo, but not with Xu Ran.

He used to go up the mountain alone. Later, Tangtang and Guoguo accidentally saw him collecting the herbs. He didn't hide it anymore and told Tangtang and Guoguo everything.

The two kids didn't read many books, but they did hear a lot of stories from Xu Ran, so they knew what the medicinal bath was all about. Gao Quan then took them up the mountain and taught them how to detect herbs.

Xu Ran arrived shortly after Peach and Plum. When Xu Ran noticed Gao Quan carrying a packbasket on his back with a lot of grass in it, he questioned, "What exactly are you looking for, Gao Quan? During the winter, the grass has faded. Is it still necessary to trace it?"

Gao Quan said, "Some herbs can only be found in winter, and I have almost found them."

"Herbs?" Xu Ran was confused. "Why are you looking for herbs?"

"I'm going to make a medicated bath for Tangtang and Guoguo," Gao Quan said seriously.

Xu Ran was aware of the medicated bath, but he was perplexed as to why Gao Quan felt compelled to give the two children a medicated bath and went off in search of herbs on his own. Gao Quan remarked, "Look at Xu Ran's suspicious countenance." "Tangtang and Guoguo will not be harmed by me. I swear to the Almighty."

Xu Ran did not believe in swear, but Gao Quan indeed did.

Hearing Gao Quan's words, Xu Ran said clearly, "I know it's bad to doubt you, but I have to think about the safety of my children. You won't be as cautious if you merely want to experiment with them. But I'm not going to let anything awful happen to my kids. Give all of the herbs to me first when you have them. I'll go locate a doctor to have a look at the herbs and make sure everything is in order. Then, they can take the bath. Alright?"

Gao Quan nodded. "No problem. You're doing it for Guoguo's and Tangtang's benefit."

Tangtang and Guoguo couldn't help but stare at the two grownups conversing. They tugged on their garments, one on each side, after being ignored for a while.

Guoguo protested frustratingly, "Dad, every time you come, you talk to others first and don't care about us." H looked extremely aggrieved.

Xu Ran picked him up and kissed him on his clean face. "Dad's bad, in the future I will talk to you first, okay?"

Guoguo immediately smiled and touched Xu Ran's face. "Don't forget my elder brother, either."

Xu Ran lowered his head to see Tangtang staring at him with bated breath. Both of the kids had put on some weight. Xu Ran was unable to hold both of them at the same time. As a result, he could only hold each of them for a short time before following Gao Quan in search of green vegetation.

All the green objects looked the same to Xu Ran, so he couldn't tell which ones were herbs and which weren't. Even the two children outperformed him. After spending time with Gao Quan, Tangtang and Guoguo were able to identify a variety of weeds. Many of the weeds that Xu Ran plucked had names that they knew.

Xu Ran touched his head indicating his embarrassment for he couldn't set the children an example.

Fortunately, despite Xu Ran's lack of knowledge of the plants, Tangtang and Guoguo showed no aversion to them. Xu Ran made the decision to learn how to distinguish medicines from Gao Quan. Even if he couldn't fool Tangtang and Guoguo, he was sure he could fool Baozi when he was older.

That was really ambitious of him.

Gao Quan knew a lot about herbs. He had more than ten kinds of herbs in the pack basket, although for each kind, there were only one or two plants.

Xu Ran asked him, "Gao Quan, we just entered the mountain. Can you find something good here? How about going deeper?"

With a shake of his head, Gao Quan esaid, "No, wild animals must be present in the deep mountains during the winter. Tangtang and Guoguo can't go inside since it's too dangerous, so I'll just peek around the perimeter. There are a few of them outside as well, but not many."

Xu Ran felt guilty for his doubt on Gao Quan after such careful deliberation, but his opinion would not alter. They didn't get home until it was practically dark. Shao Yu had just finished his supper and was eagerly anticipating his arrival.

While eating, Mr. Hu told Xu Ran, "Ran, the meat needs to be hung up to get smoked. I saw there was salt water seeping through the meat, and it's not good to put there too long."

Xu Ran said, "Tomorrow I have to go into town. Let's hang the meat together the following day. Check to see if you can put up another shelf, Gao Quan. We can't put too much meat on one shelf because it's heavier than sausages."

Gao Quan was engrossed in his food. He swallowed the rice and raised his head after hearing Xu Ran's remarks "Then, the following year, I'll set up a larger shelf. Thankfully, we have more wooden sticks at home."

"Sure, it's up to you. By the way, the one-hundred-day celebration party for little Qinshu in Zhuo Yun's family is close. Are you guys going?"

Mr. Hu was the first to speak. "I won't go. There's so much meat that needs to be smoked."

The bacon indeed needed to be watched over. Xu Ran nodded and asked Shao Yu and Gao Quan, "What about you, Shao Yu, Gao Quan?"

Shao Yu said, "I'm not going, either. Liu Tong hasn't gone through his confinement of the birth yet, so there's no one at home to cook. I'll have to cook at home."

Gao Quan went wherever Shao Yu went. Therefore, he didn't need to answer Xu Ran.

Tangtang and Guoguo, who was sitting obediently for dinner, looked eager. Xu Ran smiled and asked them, "Do you want to go?"

Tangtang remarked, "The two children nodded, and Tangtang remarked, " "We've heard there's a lot of fun in town, Dad. We'd like to have a look."

"There is recently. Fine, you can go with me and take a look."

"Okay."

The two kids were clearly overjoyed when Xu Ran consented, as evidenced by the fact that each of them ate an extra half bowl of rice.

05.26.21