60: The Rest of Forever

Start from the beginning

  "I'm glad you all were free, it's really nice out today." You spoke to Annie, Sasha and Mikasa. You had invited them to spend the day together. Unbeknownst to them, you would soon be leaving. While you didn't give Levi a direct answer yet, you wanted it more than anything. To be with the two people you loved the most was all you dreamed of.
  "It's hot as hell but this is really nice. It's always so quiet out here." Sasha spoke, fanning herself with her hand. You chuckled softly, watching as the sun started to lower gradually behind the mountains.
  "Yeah, now that we don't have any enemies to worry about, it's peaceful." Annie added with honesty while she watched the breeze wisp through the trees as you all walked through the open grassy field not too far from headquarters.
  "You seem unlike yourself, is everything okay?" Mikasa asked you, catching on to your obvious aura. You gave her a smile as Sasha and Annie looked over at you.
  "I'm okay, I've just been given a lot to think about this afternoon." You were cryptic. The girls wanted you to delve further into your secretive discussion. You guffawed, watching the three of them stare at your in silence, waiting for you to explain.
  "I don't want this to get around, but I know I can trust the three of you, so I'll just say it. Levi is planning on moving up to Wall Maria with me so I can be close to my father." You revealed, causing the three girls to gasp with immense joy. They were radiating with happiness for you.
  "That's so sweet!" Sasha exclaimed loudly, making you giggle with excitement over how they all had reacted with your statement. Your cheeks were dusted with a light pink shade, the warmth continuing to spark inside of you.
  "I just don't want to lose touch with anyone here, so I'm going to be sending you all letters." You informed, leaving the girls to beam at you with pleased expressions.
  "We wouldn't expect any less from you." Mikasa admitted contentedly.
  "When are you supposed to leave?" Sasha asked, sounding almost unhappy with the thought. You tittered, understanding her emotions.
  "I'm not sure, Levi and I still have a lot to talk about later today." You relayed briefly, thinking of what the future of the day would bring your way. You furrowed your eyebrows with curious wonder. Levi seemed so secretive even after he had revealed to you what his plans were for the both of you.
  "We'll always be here. Besides, it's not like we can't go visit you, or vice versa." Mikasa reassured you, noticing that your stress had heightened the more you had thought about it. You smiled at Mikasa with knitted brows, feeling a tingling sensation around your nostrils. The feeling to tear up had overcome you, almost becoming too hard to choke back. It was overpowering emotions that held no sorrow or grief. It was purely sentimental and heartfelt. For you to have ended up in the place you were in was unbelievable. Life didn't seem bleak or unforgiving any longer. It was radiant; a place you could call home. Nothing but the feeling of safe easiness was what surrounded you after all that time of fighting for the security you had always desired. Right at the palm of both of your hands, you had a net to catch you at any turn. What was holding that net was all the people you had in your life who never betrayed you or took you for granted. They were all holding that very net at each corner to make sure you wouldn't be sunk in or lost forever.
  "Are you at least excited about it?" Annie asked, pondering on. You gazed over at her, smiling at the question.
  "It will be something new. Moving is never easy for most people, but I know it will be a good adjustment. It feels weird how things have turned out if I'm being completely honest. After everything it seems so surreal that I'm standing here feeling so happy." You relayed confidently.
  "You deserve to be happy, Y/N." Sasha muttered, looking at you with slightly knitted brows.
  "After all that you went through, I think the universe owes you a lot." Annie spoke up as well, Mikasa and Sasha nodding in return. You let out a breathy laugh, tilting your head down at the ground with a smile on your now reddened face. The amiability the three of them had for you was unbelievably uplifting. You realized that it was growing closer to your's and Levi's meeting time.
  "I don't ever want any of us to let go of all this. You all mean so much to me, it's like you're part of my family." You expressed greatly, almost bringing tears to your eyes.
  "The Survey Corps is something like a family." Mikasa agreed.
  "We've all come so far while doing it together, so I'd admit that we are a family." Sasha went on as well. You giggled to yourself.
  "Even though I was brainwashed to believe everyone here were enemies, I learned that wasn't true. I got to know people for who they were and I saw that they were no different from the people I grew up with. I turned everything around to right my wrongs. Even though there are still many things I regret, and desperately wish I could take back, I know now that I'm not that same person anymore. I have people who protect me despite what I had done in the past. That's what I believe being part a family is about." Annie revealed, her voice nearly cracking.
  "Hey, we've all done things we aren't proud of. We're in this boat together. We fought all this time to experience what real safety and freedom feels like and now we have it. We have it together." You defended, wanting to reassure Annie of her true nature. Annie, Mikasa, and Sasha were all grateful for getting to know you. You knew that everyone else in the Survey Corps felt the same, just as you did for all of them.
  "I would love to continue this all night, but I have to meet Levi." You mentioned, ready for the four of you to depart.
  "No worries, you have important things to discuss." Annie stated while shaking her head a bit, understanding your reasoning.
  "Let us know how it went." Sasha happily said. You nodded.
  "Of course, I would never leave without saying goodbye." You added before hugging the three women. The embrace was so incredibly warming that you didn't want to let go of them. Though, you eventually did upon realizing that it definitely wouldn't be the last time you saw them.