"Okay, village head! I have a lot of fields, but no crops. I'm afraid that if I have to pay the tax, my family and I would starve to death."

"You're kidding! You have so many off-the-wall ideas in your brain. How much have you earned from selling your wheelbarrows? How can you starve to death?" the village head raged at Xu Ran.

Xu Ran smiled as he brushed his hair "Don't you know, village head, that I'm doing all of this for the sole purpose of supporting my family? Do you know how much rice and oil my family requires each month? My children require funds for their school, and my hubby requires funds to care for the baby in his womb... There is no such thing as too much money for me!"

The village head nodded and said, "You're right! You're indeed the only bread winner in your family. It's not easy to support so many people, but tell me about your two guests! Who are they? I heard that they are actually servants you've bought. Why did you do that? Do you have any food to spare?"

Xu Ran retorted with a smile, "How can I have surplus food? My food couldn't even feed my family... but you know, Tongtong's pregnant now, and my children are too young, so there's no labor in my family except me. I have to manage my fields while also looking after my family. I couldn't possibly be in two places at the same time... I'm completely overwhelmed. That is why I purchased two servants. They can be of great assistance to me, and all I have to do is feed them. It doesn't get any more cost-effective than this!"

Xu Ran didn't say that he had to pay for his servants every month, otherwise the village head would blame him again.

The village head agreed with Xu Ran, but he still insisted on his idea that two more people would consume more food. Fortunately, he didn't blame Xu Ran.

Xu Ran never lied to anyone. He had recently constructed a new house and planted strawberries, and he was certainly busy. He desperately wanted someone to assist him with his family's affairs.

The village head agreed to bring Xu Ran to complete the tax exemption procedures, so Xu Ran requested whether he was available these days so that he could complete the task as quickly as feasible.

Hearing that, the village head teased Xu Ran again, "Xu Ran, why so anxious? How dare I have no time? I must have time, right?"

Xu Ran was a little embarrassed, but he was indeed anxious, so he said nothing.

The village head asked Xu Ran again, "Xu An, Xu Zhen and Xu Fa have visited me to buy 30 mu of field for you. Do you know it?"

It almost slid Xu Ran's mind, and he nodded, "Yes! I intend to rent these fields to them, that's why I ask them to visit you by themselves. Are you interested? I can also rent 10 mu of field to you as long as you want."

The village head shook his head. "No, thanks. I understand your meaning... but I'm the village head. I can't do it... It's not something proud after all. You can buy 30 mu of fields! They'll be enough."

"30 mu? No!"

The village head suddenly looked up at Xu Ran. "What? You want to buy more?"

Xu Ran smiled. "Of course. I have to buy ten mu for myself, right? Is it okay? Can I enjoy the tax exemption if I own so many fields?"

"It's okay... but I'm afraid that you need to speak a good word to Yamen. Moreover, You must purchase the fields before pursuing the tax exemption procedure, and you should purchase waste fields because policies encourage the development of these fields. You will not only benefit from the tax exemption, but you will also increase your reputation." replied the village head.

Xu Ran was unconcerned about his reputation. The peg that stood out was pounded down, as the expression goes. He didn't want to become famous. He preferred a life with a low tone.