twenty-five ~ sunset

Harry's POV:

Harry's POV:

     "So it all comes down to this, doesn't it?" I whispered. 

     A terrifying silence had fallen in the room as everyone stopped to watch the finale.

     "Does the wand in your hand know its last master was Disarmed? Because if it does... I am the true master of the Elder Wand."

     A red glow burst suddenly across the enchanted sky above us as an edge of dazzling sun appeared over the sill of the nearest window. The light hit both of our faces at the same time so that Voldemort's was suddenly a flaming blur. I heard the voice shriek as I also yelled my best hope to the heavens, pointing Draco's wand.

     "Avada Kedavra!"

     "Expelliarmus!"

      The bang was like a cannon blast, and the golden flames that erupted between us, at the dead center of the circle we had been treading, marked the point where the spells collided. 

     I saw Voldemort's green jet meet my own spell before the Elder Wand flew high, dark against the sunrise, spinning across the enchanted ceiling like the head of Nagini, spinning through the air toward me, the master it would not kill. 

     And I caught the wand in my free hand as Voldemort fell backward, arms splayed, slit pupils of the scarlet eyes rolling upward. Tom Riddle hit the floor with a mundane finality, his body feeble and shrunken, the white hands empty, the snakelike face vacant and unknowing. 

     Voldemort was dead, killed by his own rebounding curse, and I stood with two wands in my hand, staring down at his corpse.

     One shivering second of silence, the shock of the moment suspended. Then the shouts of cheer echoed around the entrance hall. 

     The fierce new sun dazzled the windows as people ran toward me. I could not hear a word that anyone was shouting, could not tell whose hands were seizing me, pulling me, or trying to hug some part of me. 

     All I knew was that the moment I saw the expression on Ron and Hermione's faces, my world stopped. 

     The shouts and cries became silent. The hands that had been trying to grab hold of me were non-existent. My sight had clouded and I believed that it was all just the physical manifestation of grief. 

     A wave washed over me, over and over. 

    My brain jumbled with thoughts. 

    How could she be gone?

    How could the girl who had the most memorable laugh and the most beautiful blue eyes just be....dead?

     I couldn't help but think about how dull her iris' looked or how her body would lay limp rather than in an excited state. Tears left my eyes as I thought about the last thing I heard her tell me.