Chapter 23: The Shadow of Truth

Y/n's POV

"Wow... I... I didn't know any of that..." Shoto whispered after a few seconds of tense silence. "I'm... I'm sorry."

"How could you have known?" I chuckled dryly. "And don't be sorry. It's not like you had anything to do with this."

He inhaled deeply.

"I'm honestly not surprised my old man pulled something like this," He sighed. "It seems to be perfectly in his nature."

I glanced at him.

"You seem to resent Endeavor a lot," I bit my lip. "May I ask why?"

"You already did." He pointed out blankly.

"I- you know- I was just- you- you know what I mean!" I threw my hands up into the air in exasperation at the end of my struggle.

He chuckled quietly.

"Yeah, I do."

He looked at me seriously then.

"But don't you already know some of it? Seeing as how you heard my conversation with Midoriya and everything."

He just had to bring that up didn't he?

"Look, that was an accident," I tried to explain. "I just overheard you guys and I got curious, so I just... you know."

I sighed.

"I'm sorry," I looked down at my feet. "And I... I never pitied you. There's nothing pitiful about what you went through. Plus, I can relate to the whole 'my father is a dick' thing, though I'm sure my experiences are nothing compared to yours."

His usual stoic expression softened a little.

There was silence, and I dared a sneak peek up at his face.

He was looking at the floor next to his feet.

"You shouldn't talk down your situation just because mine is more 'traumatic' or whatever," He finally said. "Pain is pain, L/n. It doesn't matter how it hurts you."

I stared at him in shock.

He cleared his throat.

"You should go." He quietly murmured. "Your match is about start. We can talk afterwards if you want."

"O-Oh!" I started panicking again.

Shit I totally forgot about that.

"Right right right okay, I'm going to go now see you Todoroki-" I started walking away with my heart pounding against my rib cage.

"L/n."

I paused and looked back at him.

"Yes?"

His two-coloured eyes stared into mine.

"The entrance is that way." He pointed at the hallway behind him.

"Oh! Uh, I totally knew that, yep!" I awkwardly laughed as I headed towards the right way.

"Relax," He said as I passed him. "I'm sure you'll be fine."

My heart's frantic rhythm faltered, before accelerating once again.

"Right," I breathed. "Thanks."

He began to walk away from me.

"New shirt." I suddenly blurted.

He paused.

"Excuse me?" He blinked, puzzled.