Chapter 35: My Garden on the Moon

My notes seemed heavy in my hands as I paced in front of the door, footsteps dulled by the worn carpet. I was being foolish, putting this off, but I knew the moment I stepped into The Gathering I would never be able to go back. This was the first and last time I would be just Alexis, not the Morill head, not a woman working in the public eye.

I squared my shoulders, tucking the binder under my arm, and opened the door. This was it, what you've been working toward.

Every eye was on me as I nodded to the table and sat, the chair I had been working for was finally mine. For as much as I pictured it, the reverence that came with sitting in it didn't exist. The unyielding wood, towering back and rough scratches weren't what I imagined.

"Welcome everyone to the October meeting and my first meeting with me as the Morill head," I addressed. "I'm sure you all have heard the rumors regarding my predecessor's arrest, and I promise to address any questions I am able to. This is going to be a much longer meeting and I hope everyone is prepared."

A round of nodded was shared, a particularly long one from Kiri who sat opposite me next to the newly polished human seat. Her hair was coiled at the sides of her face, painted lips reassuring. This was her first meeting as well.

"I want to start by apologizing to everyone," I said, taking a deep breath. "Under direction from my uncle, I have kept a secret from you. My lineage is mixed. My father was human, a fact which I recently discovered, and I take after him. I am not, in fact, a witch."

The Crone witched looked to Aunt Bea who was grinning like nothing was the matter. "I think we all suspected," the croaky voice agreed. "No one wanted to offend Finnigan."

Well, that was a relief. I thought this was going to be a huge scandal. "I thank you for your understanding."

"Mrs. Morill, I think we should focus on the matter at hand, what to do in light of Finnigan's actions. Do we believe the rumors?"

I still didn't know where the rumors had come from, but with how many people had heard about what happened at The Twin Trees and my uncle's imprisonment, there was likely to be a rush of news through the supernatural channels.

"I am not supposed to discuss what happened until the trial this weekend. After that, I will be sure to email you transcripts of the trial and the verdict."

The prison had its own judgment system: two from each species represented by the council would be chosen and decided the verdict with the help of the accused representative. Maximus, the vampire seat-holder who was looking paler than usual, sat in his seat, eyes adverted. He would be busy for weeks.

"That being said, I can say that problems in our system have come to light after what happened," I paused, making sure everyone's attention was on me. "I think we need to fill the human seat."

"After so long?" Michael asked. "Do you really think that's best?"

"I think it's necessary," I stressed, facing the old shifter down. "Especially if we come out of hiding and make ourselves known to humans."

The room erupted in chaos. A few, more outspoken voices rose over the other concerned mumbles. I was thankful that some of the other members who I considered friends kept silent. Kiri, of course, was right in there yelling as well, but in my defense. She would fit in here.

"Alexis," Alpha Daniel's voice boomed above the others, the respect he had earned coming into play now. "Would you like to explain what you mean by that?"

He glared at Izzy and Michael, two of the louder protesters who took their seats, stewing in their anger. They would come around or be outvoted. Either way, I only needed majority of support.