Chapter 12: Falling Apart and Coming Together

It drizzled all the way back to Twin Trees.

My stringy hair hung in tendrils, dripping on the floor as I climbed through my window. I collapsed on the bed, my soggy clothes bleeding into the sheets. I was tired, so tired, but I couldn't sleep.

I had used Officer Reese. I pretended to like him, played with his emotions to accomplish my own, selfish goals.

I was despicable.

My hand moved on its own, phone trembling as I reverted to old habits. The screen glowed in the dark room as my finger hovered over Kiri's contact. She was smiling in the photo, unnaturally white teeth shining.

I pressed the button.

"Hello, Lexi?" Kiri's concerned voice filled my ear, and I found myself smiling.

"Kiri." My voice sounded childish, and I worried what she might think of me, running to the person I love for comfort.

"What's wrong?" I imagined her lips pulling down.

"Can we meet later? I need your help, need you."

"What happened, Lexi? You don't sound good-"

I cut Kiri off with a dry laugh. "I'm fine, but things have gotten crazy. I don't think I can do this alone. I want- I need your help."

"I'm coming over." The sound of keys and footsteps echoed through the speaker.

I opened my mouth to argue, but no words came out. I wanted her here, whether it made me weak or not. She was always the person I turned to. I would let myself be selfish just this once.

"Okay," I murmured.

"Give me fifteen minutes. Don't do anything stupid without me."

"Wouldn't dream of it, Kiri. I couldn't now. You're one of the few people I can't lose." I had been nail-bitingly close, but I couldn't do it again.

It wasn't often, but there were a few nights we spent comforting each other when life got too hard. After our conversation Friday, the little string that attached me to Kiri was back, stronger. It was selfish to need her, but we needed each other, I had to hold onto that.

After I hung up, I was reminded of something else. Two people I had been unkind to earlier. They deserved an explanation at the least.

I sent Nick and Anya a quick text, assuring them that I was safe and back at the dorms before setting my phone down and closing my eyes.

The window opened with a clink, the sound deafening in the room.

"Lexi?" Kiri slipped inside, her movements as fluid as her word.

"I'm here, Kiri." I sat up in bed, my back cracking as I did. "Sorry for pulling you out this late. I just needed someone to talk to, and you were who I thought of."

"It's alright." The bed sunk next to me and a cold hand met mine. "I'm here for you. What do you need?"

"I don't know," I mumbled.

"Well, you should get out of these wet clothes. I can feel them from here." Kiri pulled back the damp blankets. "You'll feel better."

I pulled off my hoodie, the shirt underneath dry enough. I didn't have a lot of pants, but I found a pair of flannel bottoms hanging on the end of the bed.

"Do you have a spare comforter or blankets?" Kiri stood somewhere near my closet;, I heard her rifling through the fabric.

"Top shelf on the right."