Chapter 11: The Station and Secrecy

The police station seemed too small for the town, resting firmly on the division between the haves and have nots. Most of the cruisers were gone, but a few older models were parked out front.

Officer Reese helped me out of the car, but he leaned heavily on my shoulder as he steered me through the front doors. We moved slow, avoiding the people around us.

"Are you alright?"

The man looked at me, his brown eyes drooping and haunted. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

"Yet, I don't believe that." I stayed on my feet as he sat behind a desk that I assumed was his. "There's something about this case that unsettles you, yes?"

"I think it would unsettle anyone. We have to catch whoever's responsible soon or they might do it again." I watched the man collapse, burying his face in his hands.

My heart clenched as my hand hovered over the man sitting in front of me. He looked so weak, like a child. I could do something to help him, ease his burden. I snatched my hand back. This wasn't how I could help.

"I'm sure everything will turn out in the end. I heard you have a witness this time, that should help."

"You heard?" His eyes met mine, fingers clenched on his cheeks.

I nodded and Officer Reese laughed. "You really aren't what I expected, kid. You're handling this better than I am."

No, I wasn't handling anything. I was afraid, absolutely terrified. It was only a matter of time before I faced a challenge I couldn't survive. I was weak and that could get people killed. The cops shouldn't be the ones to stop this. I should. I had to, but I couldn't. Uncle was right, I wasn't strong enough, and innocents were paying the price.

Officer Reese pulled out his laptop, turning his attention from me in the few minutes of silence that existed. He was moving on with his job, so I had to as well.

"Do you mind if I stay here? I don't want to get lost. I don't really know anyone."

"Sure kid." Officer Reese opened a drawer and handed me a granola bar. "My kids like these, so you might."

"Thanks." I took it and peeled back the wrapper. I hadn't realized how hungry I was. I missed most of the banquet earlier. "Can I use your phone?"

"Just make sure you tell her you're safe. Don't want her to worry do we?"

I punched in my phone number, knowing it was still in my dorm. My work phone, the one that contained all my confidential information, was in my pocket, where it stayed at all times.

The phone rang, but as expected, no one answered.

"She's not picking up." My voice wavered as I looked at the officer with wide, watery eyes. "Could I use your computer to email her? She might be at work, and she can't use her phone when she's on duty."

Officer Reese glanced between his computer and me, eyes getting caught when I sniffed slightly.

"Okay, kid. Make it fast." He spun his device around to face me. I felt slightly guilty for preying on his kindness, but I needed to take advantage of the situation.

Officer Reese hadn't logged out of his work browser, which I had relied on. His username was his name and badge number, simple enough and his password for the site was just two names smashed together, probably his kids: Max-Anna. I felt slightly guilty for preying on his kindness, but I needed to take advantage of the situation.

I pretended to type something, watching the screen blink a few times. A minute later, the deed was done.

"Thank you. She won't respond by email. She'll just show up."

"You're welcome to wait here if you want. I don't mind your company." Officer Reese's eyes twinkled, but that just made the rabid animal of guilt in my stomach fight harder.

"No," I exclaimed, my voice louder than I intended. "I'm going to wait outside for her. I need some fresh air."

"Do you want me to walk you out?"

"I'll be fine." I smiled. "Thanks for everything, I'll remember it."

I felt his eyes on my back as I left. They weighed on me, dragging me down with every step. I did what I had to do, and no one got hurt. So why did I feel like I had betrayed Officer Reese? I barely knew him.