Chapter 23: Claims and Content

I woke up the next morning with the sun streaming through the windows, shining on my face as bright as my mood. With a quick cup of coffee and a smile on my face, I was out the door and ready to submit my withdrawal from school. I was sure Nick's would follow.

The door stood ajar when I reached it, unusual for the uptight school where I had never seen a room without a teacher or item out of place.

"Mrs. Harris?" I nudged the door open with my toe, poking my head in. "Are you here?"

She wasn't there, but a startled gasp from my right drew my attention to the wide eyes of Officer Reese. "Lexi, I didn't think the principal would find you that fast. Are you alright?" He stood, his eyes scanning my face before looking behind me, jaw tight.

"I don't understand, was Mrs. Harris out looking for me?" I closed the door, my limbs were heavier than before. I had enjoyed the positive mood while it lasted.

"Then you came here alone?" Officer Reese's shoulders dropped, a thin whisp of air breaking through his lips.

"What's the problem? Did something happen?" I took a second to think about it before the answer hit me like a bolt. I started laughing, my side aching. "She wants to expel me, doesn't she?"

I saw Officer Reese's concerned look through my tears. It must have seemed strange, me laughing over an expulsion. I supposed it was something that meant more to him, but I had been absorbed with getting out as soon as possible. "You're happy to leave?"

"I figured it wouldn't be long before someone took advantage of the new rules to expel me. I've done everything I need to here." I took a seat, leaning back in the plush chair.

"Then you expected this?"

"The rules were clear before, I couldn't be expelled without proof. After our display the other day, I knew Nick would be under watch, and my eyes give me away."

"I guess you're right, kid. Still, I didn't think they would actually do it."

It was easy to think I would never lose if I looked for the best in people. I learned early on to hope for the best but expect the worst. I could hope for humans like Officer Reese who tried to be fair, but I would have to expect actions like these.

"Do you know when Mrs. Harris will be back?" The bowl of snacks on Mrs. Harris's desk looked tempting. Hunger pains had my stomach acting up. It was irritating.

"She was going to call you and Nick down quietly, save you the embarrassment."

I pursed my lips, shifting in my seat. Nick wasn't in his room. That would be a reason for expulsion on its own. His secret would be safe if the school signed the expulsion letter with his absence as the reason. I clenched my fists. I would have to appeal to Mrs. Harris's better nature to help him. I needed to go looking for her, plead while we walked. I wasn't above begging if it would help Nick.

I jumped as the door opened and Mrs. Harris walked in. "I couldn't find Alexandra. Nick's bed looks unslept in. We'll have to call them down over the intercom."

"Excuse me, Mrs. Harris." The older woman visibly flinched at my words. "I planned to meet with you, and Officer Reese explained that you wanted to see me as well."

Her shoulders rose and fell, and she forced a smile that stretched to her ears. "Mrs. Smith, do you happen to know where Nick is?"

"He's not at school today," I said coolly.

"Do you know why?"

"He is going through some stuff. I can relay any message you have for him. Why did you want to talk to us? Is it about the assembly? I already explained that Nick wasn't feeling well, and Officer Reese can confirm this."