Chapter 18: Returning Home

The manor, as always, felt stagnant, caught in the same time loop since my childhood. The leaky hole in the roof was still there, and I distinctly remember my hair getting wet on my sixth birthday before my party. The same three musty books I had received as presents stood on the same creaky table next to the ever-polished window in the foyer.

The old record box hummed the same, chipped melody that seemed to follow me down the brown-plated halls. The smell of chicken broth was new, but that was from the rotating lunch menu, the only thing that did change.

"There are more wolves than I remember, enough for a well-established pack." Daniel stared down the hall where a few wolves passed through, their clothes caked in mud. "Do they all stay here?"

"We offered to build a second house when I was younger, but the wolves chose to stay in the manor, Alpha Peters that is."

"Alpha Peters is dead if I recall, my predecessor of The Gathering?"

"Yes. After he died no one stepped up to lead the Morill pack so they all just adapted to the family. They do their own thing for the most part." It was the truth. No one in the pack was willing to be the Alpha. They basically became a band of misfits. Uncle was the only one they listened to.

"Have you enjoyed your time away from the manor? I'm sure you're happy to be back and with your friend." He gestured to Kiri, who was haunting the corner of the room. "You have some time before The Gathering, I can cover for you if you want to hang out with your old friends."

I didn't have many friends here, just family and Kiri. Uncle always said it was too dangerous to get close to someone in case they found out I had no powers.

"I'm just going to get ready. You know where to go?"

Daniel nodded. "I've been coming here for a few years, I understand the layout."

"Then I'll see you later." I picked up my bag, cursing its lack of wheels. "Kiri, are you ready to get changed?"

The words had barely left my mouth before she disappeared into the hall, her shoes echoing on the stairs as she flew up to them. It was cruel to ask her to come back. She couldn't have wanted this.

I followed in Kiri's wake, careful to avoid the splintered stair my aunt had dropped a cauldron on during Easter.

"Lexi." I turned to find Aunt Bea walking toward me, her arms out. "I just saw Kiri and knew you wouldn't be far behind her. How are you? It's so good to see you back again." She wrapped me up and I returned the hug, the herbs around her neck familiar and safe.

"I'm alright, Aunt Bea. I've missed you."

"And I you. How are you recovering from before..."

"Better every day. I like being busy."

"I'd expect so. I imagine you want to get to your room and unpack, but if you're not busy you should find me later. Or at least call more often. I do worry about you dear."

"I know, Aunt Bea."

She flicked my nose and walked off, laughing to herself and taking the familiar smell and feeling of home with her. Maybe today wouldn't be so bad.

I opened the door to my old room. Kiri was sitting on the bed. "Are you okay?" I asked, my voice wavering. "I shouldn't have asked you to come back. I know how much you hate it."

"I want to be here, alright?"

"Are you sure? You don't look too good."

"I'll be fine. I might have to take a long bath, but I'll be alright. Does your aunt keep the sea salt in the same place?"

"You'd know better than me, honestly." I shrugged, slipping into the bathroom. I tried to keep an extra stash on hand, but someone had swept through my room, cleaning everything and moving my stuff. "There's a small bottle in the cupboard above the sink if you want some. Blue bottle."

"I don't think I have my old room. Can I steal yours?"

"Sure. Just take your clothes with you. We don't have a ton of time."

I started the bath before I left, dumping the entire canister of salt in the swirling waters. If it helped relax her, I was all for it. She was making big sacrifices for me. This was the least I could do.

"You need to take one later. You might look good, but body odor doesn't help." Kiri smiled as she passed me, her clothes bundled in her arms.

The door shut, and I went about unpacking my small suitcase. I didn't have a ton of shoes, and I brought my only good pair to Twin Trees. Other than that, I needed the dress pants and plum blouse which I found at the back of my closet, the signature Morill rose stitched on the pocket.

The dull pulse of voices echoed from the yard as I stood on the balcony, looking down on the people tramping through the gardens. The trees swayed in the wind, bringing the smell of ripening fall fruit.

My wolf cousins were distantly related, and sometimes I appreciated that relation. Aunt Bea was preoccupied with waving them off her herbs, her tendrils of hair flying in the wind as a mini tempest stormed around her.

I missed this. My melting-pot family. For as distant as it could make me feel, there had been no better way to grow up.

I pulled my tangled hair up, the wind had blown it into a rat's nest. The rose stick stung my scalp, but it was a good pain that meant everything was under control.

"I miss seeing this color on you." A pair of long arms snaked around my waist, and Kiri set her head on my shoulder. "I see those idiots are up to their usual tricks."

"It looks like they trampled the rosemary."

"I hate the rosemary anyway."

The storm outside calmed down, Aunt Bea having succeeded in running the teens out of her garden and into the field outside the stone walls.

"Do you feel better with the bath?" I breathed deeply, the scent of salt filling my nose.

Kiri shifted, a grumble coming from her throat. "I suppose it was nice. I'd rather just stay up here with you. Why do we have to go to this stupid meeting?"

"The Gathering is a very big deal, especially if I take over my uncle's position. You don't have to go if you don't want to."

"I'll go," she mumbled, pulling away.

I caught a glimpse of her, and my breath hitched. Most people couldn't pull off so many pale colors, but Kiri could. Pale complexion, pale hair, light eyes, and the silvery, siren blouse. So illuminating, it drew all the light from the room to her.

"You look nice, Kiri. Not that you don't look nice at other times. You just look especially beautiful now, and I thought I should tell you."

Kiri laughed musically, and I closed my mouth, cheeks heating.

"Thank you, Lexi. You look pretty as well." She reached out to me, throwing me a lifeline. "Are you ready?"

"I should be the one asking you that." I took her hand and we left the room behind us. This was it.