Chapter 22: New Beginnings and New Family

Nick hadn't spoken much since we left his home. Kiri and Anya both showed up to drive his stuff to Alpha Daniel's house, and he had loaded the few boxes of possessions into each before driving off with Anya. Kiri and I followed, no words being exchanged. She knew how hopeful I had been, though I hadn't told her.

Alpha Daniel and Luna Angela greeted us at the door, dinner waiting for us. It felt like Alpha Daniel had expected this all along but was too kind to say anything.

Nick turned down dinner, but I took a plate to his new room as we laid out the bedspread, piled books on the shelf, and unpacked his clothes and personal stuff. It was homey, but it wasn't home for Nick, not yet.

"Anya," I whispered as Nick flopped on the bed. "Do you want to stay with him for a bit? I think he probably has had enough of me."

"I'll keep an eye on him. You seem to have patched things up with your girlfriend, although she doesn't look so happy." Anya nudged me out the door then tossed a blanked over Nick before curling up on the other side.

They looked comfortable, if tired.

Kiri and the pack leaders were waiting at the table, a steaming pot of tea ready with already full mugs in front of them. Someone had set one out for me, and I took the empty seat, the sweet scent of chamomile calming me down.

"How's he doing?" Luna Angela asked, her blond hair pulling loose from her bun and falling in her face.

"I'm not sure. I left him with Anya. He seemed to be as good as can be expected."

"I pity him for what happened, but I admit it will be lovely having Max's son here. We can teach him and love him more than his mother could."

"I know, my love, but I still think Nick is going to be sorry." Alpha Daniel took his wife's hand. "We can distract him now, but that pain is always going to be there."

"He'll be fine," Kiri muttered, and all eyes turned to her. Her cheeks went red, and she waved her hands, her usual stony tone replaced by a nervous chuckle. "I meant he'll be alright. I understand how he feels. He has people who care for him."

"You should have started with that." I smiled, taking a sip of the tea. "I do agree, though."

"I have no doubt he will be fine, but I hope there is something more we can do while the pain is still raw." Luna Angela bent her head, lips pouted as she looked to the wall where an old, framed photo of her hung. She was younger, clutching a college diploma, her arm wrapped around Alpha Daniel. Next to the grinning couple, Max Davissmiled, his face so very similar to Nick's.

"I'm traveling up north to visit Clare," Alpha Daniel said. "I could take him with me and show him the forests. I'm sure he'd love it."

I didn't think dragging Nick to the north to visit the Alpha's daughter at college was the best idea. He probably felt betrayed, not cooped up. In his situation, I would want to stay in a familiar place and just eat a ton of ice cream and read with Kiri.

"We can ask him in the morning," Luna Angela agreed, but she seemed to think the idea was as ludicrous as I did. "I think for now we can pull him out of that dreadful school. Lexi, you don't need to go there anymore. There's always room here. Our door is open."

"Thank you, but I think my dorm room suits me best. It is closer to the attack sites, and I hopefully won't need it long. Just until I can find another place to stay in town."

"You plan to move out?" Kiri looked to me, her nails tick-tocking on her mug.

"I think it would be best, fewer people watching."

"Then we can help you find someplace to stay," Alpha Daniel offered, and I accepted with a nod.

"You could stay with me." Kiri's voice was small. "I have a tiny apartment, but there is a couch and I rent by the week."

It took my brain a moment to register what she had said. Almost instantly, Kiri's face went red, and I felt mine rival her apple tinge.

"You want me to move in with you?" I rasped. As though sensing the atmosphere in the room had changed, Alpha Daniel and Luna Angela hurried from the room, leaving their mugs on the table as they disappeared through the door. "I don't think this is the time."

"I only offered for the mission. You can't keep staying at that damned school, and I pawned enough stuff I found to pay for an apartment. We can use it as our headquarters."

Did she pawn her treasures? I should have known she wasn't getting human money from my uncle. I would have to pay her back, but there was no currency that could rival the finds she had pulled from the deep.

"I don't know what to say," I admitted as a small smile crept to my face. "I think that would work. It would make it easier to piece everything together."

"Great." Kiri's shoulders slumped in relief. "Let me know when you're able to move everything over. I can help."

I offered her my hand and she took it, our fingers clasping together on the table.

"Kiri" I whispered, and she looked at me, her eyes shining, "I'm sorry we can't be a normal couple and go to college, hang out, be like others. Even if this assignment goes well, I think my life will always be complicated."

"Lexi, I don't want to be normal. I want to be with you, on land, with humans. If I wanted to be normal, I would have stayed in my pod." Her fingers tightened around mine, nails biting crescents into my flesh, but I remained silent. "Thank you for keeping your promise. I want to help people, and if we do it together, it's safer."

"Are you sure this is what you want?" I asked. "If you want to leave now, I'll understand."

"This is what I want. We aren't a couple meant for simple things. You stand by me, and I will stand by you. I've made my choice and I'll stick to it."

My eyes pricked and my breath labored. I had very few friends, but I would have traded all companionship for her words to be true.

Her expectations would only serve to guide me. Whenever I faced a decision, I could look to her and know which path to take. While she did not know my world as well, she knew me. Kiri was a siren: honest, adaptive, and a survivor. Her judgment was well-formed.

Kiri hummed as she stood, making her way to the door. "I'm going to head back to the apartment. I can drop you off at the school if you want." She held the door for me, and I stood to accept her offer. "Nick will be alright, Lexi. Just rest tonight."

"Thank you, Kiri. I hope I can live up to your expectations."

"Just stay by my side and stay safe. I don't ask anymore."

"And keep you included," I added.

"And keep me included," Kiri agreed.

She wrapped an arm around my shoulders, leading me out of the house. Kiri was warm and loving, the opposite of her lineage. While I was tied down and secretive, the legacy of the Morill's. If I could do one thing in my life, other than help people, I would want to be like her.