Chapter 1: One down, infinity to go

My skin was red as the scorching water beat mercilessly down. I stood, watching the crimson liquid circle the drain before disappearing into the nameless pipes below. I should be doing something, washing my body, or getting dressed again, but I was paralyzed.

When the water turned cold, I summoned the energy to reach for a towel and step out of the tub. The vanity mirror was coated in a thick layer of steam, and I wiped it away to get the first good look at myself.

I looked like hell.

The soft curves of my chin and cheeks were now hollow. A crooked nose, most likely broken based on the angle, matched my swollen eye. My hair hung. in dripping clumps, droplets ran down my face like tears. For all I knew, they were.

The moment I stepped through the door, the thin layer of peace was gone. The band-aids holding me together would have to be stitches; broken would have to be healed.

Uncle Finnigan was waiting when I opened the door, releasing the steam into the otherwise chilly room. I waited, rocking back and forth as he finished reading a long document and added it to the pristine stack next to his open briefcase.

His movements were slow and silent, limbs poised like a dancer. After a long pause, he turned. His pupils were blown to an impossibly large size, making him appear even less human. I hated when he did that, it meant his emotions were elevated.

"I'm sorry," I started, hearing the desperation in my voice. "I didn't think it would attack, and I let it get out of control. I'll do better next time, you'll see. I can-" I was cut off by a long sigh, the whistle of wind sucking the words out of my mouth.

"I should have known you weren't ready, Alexis." His deep voice filled the room. "You're still too weak. I should have kept a closer eye on you."

"I can do it. Just give me another chance. I know what to expect now."

I held my breath as my uncle looked me over. He looked like an owl, his body turning as his head remained motionless. "I'm afraid it's too late anyway."

"What?" My pulse raced.

"I sent someone better equipped to handle the demon. It won't be a problem."

"Then it's over? The girl, she's safe and healthy?"

"As healthy as can be expected after that ordeal. You suffered more physical injury in any sense." I sunk into the bed, my face in my hands. At least there was one upside. "Here." Something small hit the mattress next to me. "Your aunt wasn't able to be here today, but she sent this just in case."

I held up the vial, green liquid. Having earned my fair share of well-won bumps and bruises as a kid, so I knew what it was: superficial healing draught. I uncorked the bottle and gulped it down, the familiar taste of lemon taking over my mouth. The physical wounds would heal soon, but the pain would last a few days.

"Did you tell her what happened?" I asked, my cheeks heating at the thought of my failure. "Do they all know?"

"Just Beatrix," he confirmed. "No one else knows where you are or what you're doing."

"It will be good to see them again. When do we return home?"

The long pause unsettled me. His eyes were fixed on the wall, unblinking. "You won't be returning yet. I have another assignment, one that is better suited."

"How long will it take?" My throat felt dry, like someone had run sandpaper over my tongue.

"Another four weeks or so. It will be easy, scouting at the least, a small intervention at the most."