Chapter 2: Come Hell or High School

The school looked like a prison. The front gates of the estate reminded me of the jaws of a dragon. Thick, steel stakes with hedges between separated the upper-class houses from the grounds. Camera's replaced security, the devices mounted every few feet. Any sneaking out would have to be unconventional.

"There is an option for high schoolers to take classes at the university that shares the grounds, but I don't think that would be a good idea," my uncle said as we pulled into a parking spot. "You will stay in the high school dorms; the co-ed ones Nick will be in."

"Will my classes match his?"

"To the best of my ability, yes. You will shadow him as much as possible and I expect you to do your best."

"I will." My legs burned as we ascended the steps. The file found its way into my jacket, hidden away. "Where are we going?"

Paintings and awards hung on the walls, the school flag on display at every turn. It looked like a typical high school, but with an obvious shine of wealth.

"The principal wishes to meet you. We are operating under a potential exchange program with the Finnigan Educations Institute. You will be our representative, which will give you more freedom on campus. This also means you will have the eyes of the instructors on you."

"Is there anything I should know about the fake school? Anything they might ask?"

"Nothing. Keep answers short. If you're ever in doubt, pretend it's The Morill Academy. Superficial details only."

I grew up in an academic environment. The academy that shared the first floor of my home was like any school, but the courses were geared toward supernatural students. Twin Trees just had humans.

I tied my hair back as we finished the walk. I didn't look preppy with blue jeans and a spring jacket. Trying to appear presentable could go a long way.

Uncle Finn tapped on the glass, the sound ringing in the room beyond. Heels on hardwood followed and the door opened to reveal a breathtaking woman. Her auburn curls were wound perfectly, falling onto her checkered dress and making her appear taller.

"Mr. Smith, Mrs. Smith." The principal regarded us with narrowed eyes. "I'm pleased to see you. Come in."

Lavish in its decoration, the room was filled with novels and textbooks perpendicular to a large desk. Rich brown walls produced a warm atmosphere, and I could see myself curling up in one of the overly large chairs with a book and box of chocolates.

"I'm Mrs. Harris, the principal of Twin Trees High School." She gave us each a firm handshake before sitting down and gesturing for us to do the same. "Have you had a chance to look around the campus?"

"I looked around before bringing my niece. Your school appears to be a fine establishment and I look forward to a future partnership," Uncle Finn laid it on thick and Mrs. Harris ate it up.

"I'm pleased to hear that," she cooed. "Not to rush either of you, but we do have some paperwork to fill out if Mrs. Smith wants to attend class tomorrow."

From the desk, she drew out a stack of papers. Unlike the small packets on her desk, these contracts were lofty.

"I noticed you had rather strict terms regarding creatures other than human. Could you explain them to me and my niece?"

Mrs. Harris had the decency to look anxious. Some humans could sense there was something powerful about my uncle. Mrs. Harris seemed to be one of them.

"A large percentage of our parents and faculty are uncomfortable with the thought of their children attending school with a Coth. To make them feel more secure, we ask all supernatural students to identify themselves."