Chapter 29: The Morning Everything Changed

My feet burned by the time I made it back to town. It was late, the sun having set hours before. By my guess, it was early in the morning, but my phone had long died after using it as a flashlight.

The town was abandoned, everyone tucked safely in their beds, and lights turned off. If it wasn't for the glow of the streetlamps, I would have thought I was in another world.

The lack of sleep and caffeine had my eyes closed, even as I walked, and every thought seemed far off like I was processing them in slow motion.

Footsteps pounded the ground behind me, waking me up slightly, but it was more of general anger for whoever was about to interrupt me. My fatigue made me confused, and I spun on my heels, crouching as the hidden dagger found its way to my hand. "Stop!" I ordered, holding the needle dagger up.

The footsteps stopped heavy breathing. "Alex?" Lana's startled tone came from the darkness. "It's me."

"Lana? What the hell are you doing out here so late?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing." She laughed. "I thought about what you said earlier and just quit The Children of Man."

"Really?" I secured my hair with the dagger, fitting it back into its holder. "They let you go that easy?"

"Peter was mad, but they were going to patrol up by Twin Trees Highschool. I think you probably know why."

I nodded, but something didn't feel right. She ran after me in the middle of the night. Only crazy people did that, or people who were desperate. "I'm happy to hear you left them. Is there something else?"

Lana had the good sense to look embarrassed. "I wanted to help you now that I'm not working with them. You said you were here to protect us, and I saw you carrying someone away. I thought maybe I could help."

"How much did you see? Did you see anyone suspicious??" Anyone with a vial of blood with murder in their eyes. A few people might have fit that description, but I was desperate. "Anyone who looked out of place in the crowd?"

"I don't really remember. It's fuzzy."

"It's fine." I sighed. "You should really get home. Something is wrong here, in town. If I need help, I might look for you, but you should stay low for now, not make things more complicated."

"But I want to help," Lana whined. For looking older than me, she acted more like Anya: young, naïve, but with good intentions.

"The people I need help from don't take well to humans," I explained, knowing if I brought back a human it wouldn't be good. "You can help by staying out of trouble and keeping your ears open. If you hear anything, whispers or rumors, let me know."

"Where can I find you?"

"Talk to Officer Reese at the police station. I trust him and he's got a direct line to me." I waved her off. "Now if you don't mind, it's late and I'm about to fall asleep on my feet."

"Do you need a ride? I have a car. I could give you a lift." Even if Kiri's apartment wasn't a few blocks away, I would have refused Lana's offer. She was a stranger. Trusting Cypress already pushed the limits of my comfort zone.

"I'm good, thanks." I began my begrudged walk again, leaving Lana standing alone on the abandoned road. "Have a good night," I called, far too late for it to be polite.

"Night," her voice echoed.

I was happy she was out. I didn't like The Children of Man, especially after their display today. If it had been any other poison, I might have believed they were the culprit.