Chapter 20: Little Girl in the Library

"I thought I might find you in here." The sofa next to me sunk in, but I kept my gaze locked on the sea outside the window. "I remember when I first came here, I got lost and found a little girl with wild hair staring at me from behind one of her large books."

I glanced at Alpha Daniel as he made himself comfortable, his posture open and relaxed. I didn't feel like talking, but I wasn't going to be rude.

"I heard you and your uncle fighting. I was waiting for you outside the room. I'm sorry for eavesdropping."

"How much did you hear?"

"Everything. You were rather loud."

"And what are you going to do about it?" I felt a flush of warmth and forced a stray hair out of my face.

"I think, for the time being, you might like to keep your secret safe, but I would implore you to be open about it when you take the head seat. Honestly would prove your dedication to the other seat holders."

"You don't think they would deny my place as Morill head?"

"If anything, I think they'd be happy to have an equal in the seat. Your mother was a good Morill head after her brother died, but she was powerful. I think it is better to have someone who understands what it's like to not have power. You know how it is to be human, and you know what it's like to be supernatural."

"What traits are those?" Weakness was never a good trait for a leader. The moment my weakness was discovered, any respect I earned from my mother and my name would evaporate, leaving me the young daughter of a rich family who played pretend.

"Do you know why I was elected to my seat? Why I was chosen out of all the Alpha's?"

I had never really thought about it. I had assumed it was because of his pack's large stretch of territory near the manor.

"The Alpha before me valued tradition, much like your uncle, but he lacked something. While he led his pack with force and strength, he always failed when it came to diplomacy. His allies respected his power and accomplishments, not him," Alpha Daniel laughed a warm low chuckle. "When I became Alpha, I worked internally to make my pack stronger before reaching out to help other packs. It took time, but I garnered respect through my genuine nature and by showing I cared. That's what your uncle fails to grasp. He is too much like the old Alpha, while you are too much like me. Your strength is not your legacy's power but the fact you have none and still choose to help people you have no allegiance to."

He rose, staring out the window. "You don't have to say anything, you probably think I'm a fool, but just think about what I said."

He vanished as quickly as he had come and managed to leave me with a gaping hole in my heart. I didn't know if it was because I believed him or because I hoped he was right.

I curled my knees to my chest and watched the light outside slowly dim until there was nothing but darkness.

Eventually, my phone chimed, and Kiri reminded me that we had to leave. I had promises to keep, and staying here wasn't an option.

I paced myself as I walked through the house this time; I wanted to capture every detail. The first time I left, I had not realized what I would be missing. Now I knew that it could be weeks before I would see, feel and smell it again.

My bag was already packed, waiting beside the car with Kiri and Alpha Daniel. My aunt waited too, with open arms and a long hug, the smell of her garden lingering in her clothes.

As we drove away, I noticed my uncle in one of the upper windows, his face dark.

"Where were you?" Kiri finally asked, breaking the long stretch of silence that plagued the car. "I couldn't find you, is everything alright?"