Chapter 15: Explanations and Confessions

I grabbed Nick by the arms,, turning him so I could see his eyes. They were narrower, the pupils compressed to pinholes. The first symptom.

"Shit! You're shifting early. Of all the times." I lifted him under the shoulders as I prepared to get him the hell out of there. "Did you text Anya when we got here as you promised?"

Nick might have shaken his head, but it was hard to tell. He looked like a patient with the flu. The thin blush of blood in his face was beginning to spread to his neck and ears. If I hadn't been there, I don't think he could've walked without passing out.

"Sorry about this," I whispered as we descended the bleachers. The eyes of everyone in the school were on us. "I should have prepared for this, assembly or not."

"Fine," he garbled, but he was not fine. This was possibly the worst place in the world for him to shift.

Mrs. Harris and Officer Reese approached as the students continued to stare. I ducked my head, eyes boring into my shoes like they held the answers.

"Are you alright?" It was the kind voice of Officer Reese. "He doesn't look too good."

"I think my friend is sick, maybe having a panic attack."

"Hey, kid, are you alright?"

Nick shook his head and one of his knees buckled as his bone cracked slightly His body bent at an odd angle, and I strained to hold him upright.

"He needs help," I pleaded. "I'll get him to the nurse's office."

Mrs. Harris looked suspicious, her eyes studying the both of us. The timing was ironic, and we were running out of it.

"I'll take care of them, ma'am." Officer Reese's offer surprised all of us. "You just get back to your lecture. I can give them a police escort to the hospital."

He took Nick's other arm and led us out of the gym. I kept my head down, my guilt blooming as this man continued to help.

"I need to call someone," I said. "We need to stall a minute."

"Hurry. He's not doing well."

Nick, as if proving a point, let out a gutted growl, his back bending over as his body prepared to assume a four-legged stance.

I pulled out my phone, fingers pressing random buttons until Anya's image appeared on the screen.

"Anya, get to the first place you and Nick met. It's happening, now. We've got an extra hand." I looked to Officer Reese who was trying to comfort Nick and seemed oblivious to me. "I think we can trust him, but I'll try to shake him."

"I'll be there in ten. Get him out of there."

"I will." I stuffed the phone back in my pocket, lifting Nick once more. "I think you should get the car. We'll meet you out there."

Officer Reese looked ready to comply, but Nick had other ideas. His face began sprouting thick, black hair.

"What is that?" Officer Reese leaped back, his arm outstretched as the other went to his waistband.

I stepped in front of Nick, pushing him toward the exit. "I don't have a lot of time, but I need you to trust me. He's not a danger to anyone, but he needs help. Please, help us," I begged.

"Lexi." the word was barely recognizable as canine teeth protruded from Nick's mouth.

"I have to go," I told Officer Reese. "Please, you don't have to help, just don't tell anyone what you saw."

Nick and I limped out of the building, the boy growing smaller as his arms and one leg became wolf-like. It was a miracle we made it into the trees before his last leg shifted, throwing both of us into the mud.