The Complexities Of Knowing

Start from the beginning

The physician didn’t look too keen about keeping something so large from his ward, Arthur noted. So, he was relieved when he slowly nodded in agreement. “Yes, of course. I don’t want to put that stress on him.”   

“Thank you, Gaius, I cannot express enough how much I appreciate your confidentiality,” Arthur sighed, rolling his shoulders anxiously. This was all so much. He was committing treason by even thinking about this, let alone having a whole conversation about his with the Court Physician, who is a known ex-practitioner of magic.

Gaius nodded slowly, his lips set in a grim line.

Arthur smiled weakly and moved to stand, only to be stopped by Gaius reaching over the table and placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Arthur.” The Prince stopped and looked at him. “Do not judge my boy harshly, understand he’s been taught since he could understand language that his life depended on him keeping his gift a secret. He trusts you, with all he is, but when you’ve been raised a certain way… Change is difficult—I’m sure you understand that.”

He nodded slowly at Gaius’ words, his stomach churning at the thought of Merlin living in a constant fear of death. “I think I may… Thank you again, Gaius,” he mumbled, standing as Gaius removed his hand, “thank you, again. For reassuring me.”

A faint smile flickered on Gaius’ face and Arthur let out a breath.

“Of course, Sire. Now, you should hurry out before Merlin comes back and wonders what on earth you’re doing here,” the old man hummed. “I’m sure you have duties to attend to, anyhow.”

Arthur cringed internally. He did. A council meeting. Ah, he’d forgotten about it in his… Panic? No, he wouldn’t call it that… Though, there was quite a bit of panic involved.

“Right, let Merlin know when he gets here that I require his services,” Arthur told Gaius, heading for the door, “he’s attending the council meeting with me.”

“I will be sure to tell him.”

Arthur nodded and walked out of the Physician’s Quarters. He paused once the door shut behind him and closed his eyes, letting out a loud breath.

Merlin had magic.

He was going to have to face Merlin, knowing he had magic, knowing Merlin didn’t know he didn’t know that Arthur knew.

This was getting complicated. Too complicated. Why was this so complicated?

Merlin wasn’t supposed to be complicated…

Arthur counted to five slowly, in his head, taking deep breaths to relax himself externally, before pushing away from the door and heading towards his chambers. He had a council meeting to get ready for. He couldn’t believe this was happening.

He had a council meeting to get ready for!

This was not the time to be worrying about his manservant practicing sorcery.

Oh, gods, his manservant practiced sorcery.

Arthur let out a strangled noise, his step faltering as he walked to his rooms. Oh, gods save him, he really was the one who saved Guinevere’s father! He confessed!