chapter 37

zuko's POV

is it weird that i woke up a little nervous because today i'm going on my first date with the guy i've been together with for months? he told me to dress casually, but it's really frustrating that i have no idea where we're going.

it takes me more than half an hour to pick an outfit, and i settle at last for a pair of beige pants, a white shirt and a black wool vest over it. i add a pearl neckleace, some rings and the pink and yellow flower crown that sokka made for me, then i put on some eyeliner and paint my nails black. i also tie my hair eren style, because i know how much sokka loves the way it suits me (i have to admit, it does look pretty great).

i finish getting ready just in time, because i hear the doorbell ring and i rush downstairs. i impatiently open the door and i am met with the most gorgeous person in the world.

sokka is leaning with one of his hands against the outside wall of the house, with his head slightly tilted down, but he's looking right up at me. his shimmering, blue eyes are identical to the brightest stars that glow on the night sky, and his hair is down, perfectly framing his face.

his smile is warmer than the sun and he is wearing a navy blue, short sleeved shirt with vertical white stripes all over it, unbuttoned enough that i can see the flawless caramel skin on his chest. he also has some chains hanging on the side of his white jeans and he is holding a bouquet of black roses.

"hey" he smirks and i already feel like fainting because of how pretty he is.

he hands me the flowers and when i look at his hands, i notice some black stains on them, as well as a few scratches.

"did you- did you paint these yourself?" i wonder and he scratches the back of his neck.

"huh- i tried to find black roses in every flower shop in town, but none of them had any, so i bought normal ones and made them a little special" he explains. "also, i took out the thorns so you wouldn't accidentally poke yourself, cause you're a dum dum"

my heart can't take it at this point. he must have spent such a long time paninting this whole bunch of roses, just for me, and he got scratched, so that i wouldn't. i don't deserve him.

"you- you don't like them?" sokka asks me, seeming a little hurt.

i don't understand where did he get that idea from, but then i realise i haven't said a word and i'm staring into space like an idiot. i shake my head frantically.

"no, no, sokka, i love them" i assure him and throw myself in his arms, careful not to crush the roses.

i chuckle and he brushes my hair with his fingers, squeezing me closer to him and placing a peck on my head. i then break the embrace and get back in the house, i rapidly put the flowers in a vase, then we both head to sokka's car.

"wait, wait" he extends his arms in front of me, before we reach the car.

he jogs ahead of me and opens the car door, then gestures with his hands, urging me to step inside. i giggle and get in the car, then sokka shuts the door and circles the vehicle so he can sit in the driver's seat.

"where are we going?" i question him, but he starts the engine and turns on the radio.

"you'll see when we get there" he responds vaguely and i roll my eyes. "but it will take some time"

during the ride, he sometimes puts his right hand on my thigh, so i place my left one over his and interwine our fingers. we sing along on some of the songs that come on the radio, we kiss every time we have to wait at a red light, and i laugh at sokka's bad jokes every time he makes one (way to often).