chapter 8

zuko's POV

"why did nobody think of telling me game night means sleepover? i didn't bring my pyjamas" i say little irritated.

we're at the dining table right now, eating something katara and aang cooked together.

"we kinda forgot this is your first game night" aang mumbles.

i roll my eyes, but i'm not mad at them, it would be stupid if i was.

"it's no problem, zuko, you can just take some of sokka's clothes" katara suggests.

"of course, i'll give them to you after dinner" sokka approves with his mouth full of meat.

if anyone else would have talked with their mouth stuffed like that, i would have found it annoying, but it's sokka, so it's just cute.

"thanks, buddy" i say and take a bite of my stake.

after we all finish eating, we decide to play monopoly and, even if i'm not really into this particular game, i don't hate it.

it was really fun to watch katara be so invested in winning, toph mocking her for it and stealing all her properties, aang trying to stop them from arguing and sokka bragging about the amount of money he made during the game.

i just sat there and analysed each one of them, unable to believe that for the first time in my life, i'm surrounded by real friends, doing normal activities that teenagers do.

"ha! i win! i'm the best! i kicked your ass, sugar queen!" toph shouts excitedly.

katara pouts and starts collecting all the pieces from the game and putting them back in their box.

"yeah, yeah, you were just lucky" she rolls her eyes.

"at least we all had fun" aang shruggs and katara loosens up a little.

"you're right" she agrees.

"oh, guys, i forgot something" sokka adds.

we all look simultaneously at him, curious to find out what he is talking about.

"dad's bedroom is still in renovation so two of us will have to share a room. if it's ok, i'll share with zu-" he mentions.

only the idea of sleeping in the same bed as him drives me crazy.

"i'll sleep with sparky!" toph interrupts him and grabs my arm.

what the hell?

katara widens her eyes and looks at her, even if the blind girl can't see her stare.

"uhm, are you sure?" sokka asks a little confused.

she nods her head.

"don't worry, if he tries anything, i'll beat the crap out of him" toph assures everyone.

"toph, what could i even try? i'm gay and you're 15" i ask a bit offended.

"yeah, yeah, that's what they all say" she says.

"ok then, it's pretty late, so i'll show you your rooms" katara says and we all scatter around the house.

toph and i's room is right across from sokka's, which is somehow both comforting and intimidating at the same time.

"here are some pants" sokka says and hands me a pair of grey sweats. "do you sleep shirtless or do you want a t-shirt too?"

"t-shirt, please"

i don't feel comfortable sleeping naked, even if it's really hot, especially if others are around.

"right, right, i forgot. toph. it would be awkward and inapropriate, even if she can't actually see you"