chapter 20

zuko's POV

for the last few days, sokka has refused to leave my side until i felt better, except for when he had to go to class or work. today, i can finally return to school and i feel better than ever, after almost a week of sleeping peacefully next to sokka.

the first classes pass painfully slow, because all i think about is him and how much i can't wait to see him at lunch, as we don't have common lessons today.

once my biology class is over and it's time to head to lunch, i walk over to my locker in order to leave there the books i no longer need. my face instantly lights up when i notice sokka leaning on my locker with a soft smile painted on his face.

"i missed you" he says while carefully brushing my hair with his hand.

"it's only been a few hours since you last saw me" i chuckle.

"oh, don't act like you weren't thinking about me the whole time" he raises an eyebrow.

he stares at me with those sparkly blue eyes that warm my heart in a second.

"ok, ok, i missed you too" i admit, rolling my eyes.

he smirks victoriously and pulls me closer to him by my belt. he presses his forehead against mine and sighs, moving his fingers all over my chest.

"i want to kiss you, zuko. really, really bad"

i gulp, then slowly interwine my fingers with his and i start finding it difficult to breathe.

"we shouldn't-" i mumble. "people will see and it would be inappropriate..."

i can't believe i'm saying this, but i'm starting to understand those couples that always make out in public. it's really hard to stay away from the person you love, even for a few hours.

"yeah, it really would" jet appears out of nowhere in front of us.

we distance ourselves and sokka is visibly annoyed as hell.

"spirits, just fuck off, can't you see you're interrupting something?" sokka spits out angrily.

jet raises his arms in defense.

"damn, dude, chill. i come in peace" jet assures us.

"what do you want?" i ask him.

he shifts his weight from one leg to another and keeps chewing on his toothpick.

"i wanted to apologise for how i acted at the party when i was drunk"

"yeah, you better be" sokka says at the same time as i say "it's fine"

jet rubs the back of his neck awkwardly and moves his eyes from me to sokka and so on.

"right..." he mumbles after a few seconds. "i also wanted to tell you that i'm happy for you guys and that i started talking to this boy, haru, and he's really nice, so i won't be bothering you anymore"

i feel that sokka is about to say something, probably that we don't give a fuck about who he's talking to, but i squeeze his hand to make him shut up.

"that's really great, jet. i hope it works out for you" i smile a little and he returns the gesture.

"yeah... thank you. and sorry again. i'll leave you guys to it, see ya" he waves his hand and walks away.

after he leaves, me and sokka start heading twords the lunch area.

"why are you being so nice to that asshole?" sokka questions me, furrowing his brows.

i lift my shoulders and scratch my temple for a second.