chapter 11

zuko's POV

"today was a blast, man!" sokka says excitedly as we're on our way to the tea shop, walking down the street.

"yeah, i didn't expect so many boys to wear skirts willingly" i reply with a smile on my face.

i'm really glad every teacher got the point we were trying to make and i was surprised to see everyone's enthusiasm for this idea.

boys should wear skirts and dresses more often because damn, each and every single boy looked amazing today.

"i think i could get used to this" sokka moves around to make his skirt flutter.

we haven't changed our clothes because we love them too much. of course, we got weird stares from almost every person that we passed by, especially old ones.

we also were cheered by groups of girls, or even boys, so that made up for all the criticism that we didn't take into consideration anyway.

sokka matched his tie with the black skirt, and wore a white shirt and long socks. he also added the cat ears, which made him incredibly cute.

i'm wearing a dark crimson skirt, a beige sweater over it and some rainbow, also long socks. besides, today i made a flower crown and even got compliments on it!

"i couldn't believe when i saw jet wearing a skirt! i never thought i'd witness that asshole doing something like that" sokka says.

i shrugg. i was glad to see jet expressing himself in a way he never could before.

"well, he's actually not that big of an asshole" i mention.

sokka gives me a confused look.

"what are you talking about? he bullied you and many others"

"hmm, i will tell you something, but you have to promise me you won't tell anyone else" i gaze at him.

"i won't, come on, spill the tea, you made me curious!" sokka begs like a little kid.

i roll my eyes and smile. i narrate the bathroom incident, but exclude the part where i tell him i fancy someone else. he would ask additional questions that i'm not ready to answer.

"no freaking way" his eyes widen and his mouth opens in shock.

he takes a few moments to process the events. meanwhile we're still walking, our shoulders touching ocasionally and our hands...

well, i am very aware of the insignificant distance between our fingers, only a few milimeters apart.

would it be weird if i just...

yes, it definetely would, why are you even questioning that? stop thinking about it!

i have to repress the urge to grab his hand, to feel his soft and warm skin...

shit, i'm doing it again.

"zuko, he has a crush on you!" he exclaims after a few minutes.

"so?" i ask frowning.

"so, if you say he's not so bad, maybe i don't know, you can try something out? get to know eachother better?" he suggests.

and, just like that, every hope i had about him having feelings for me is destroyed. he wouldn't propose something like this if he liked me.

i know he's just being a good friend, but why do i feel like the ground is about to swallow me whole right now?

"um- no, i don't think so" i mumble with my heart sinking bit by bit.