chapter 14

sokka's POV

"... and then we got ice cream and talked about all kinds of stuff and we walked around that town without knowing where we would end up and it was so amazing" i tell katara everything as soon as i arrive home.

she was making dinner when i got here and it's almost ready now, since i helped her finish it faster.

"i'm really happy you had a good time and that zuko's feeling better. i was worried about him, but it seems like you were the light at the end of the tunnel for him"

i put some rice and chicken on katara's plate, then i do the same for myself.

"yeah... he was in a really bad shape" i sigh.

i replay in my head the moment when i found him in the bathtub, but i banish it immediately. i don't want to remember how i felt when i saw him so wretched. it really crushed me.

"are you alright?" katara asks me concerned when she sees my facial expressions.

"yeah, i was just-" i start to explain, but something else catches my attention.

my phone buzzes, so i reach for it and i see that i got a text from zuko, asking me if i want to go ice-skating tomorrow after school. obviously, i accept and i'm also glad to hear he's coming back to school.

"is that from zuko?" 'tara asks and i lift my eyes from the screen.

"how did you know?" i squeeze my eyebrows together.

she smirks and shruggs, proud that her guess was correct.

"your face lights up instantly when you talk to or about him"

she puts an elbow on the table and rests her chin in her palm. my lips part a little and for a second i am speechless.

"no, it does not!" i defend myself and my voice is weirdly high pitched.

"why are you blushing?" she chuckles. "is there something going on between you two?"

my heart starts racing and i have the impression that this room is rapidly getting warmer.

"uh- um- nothing's between us, wh- why would you think that?"

why am i stuttering? it really isn't anything going on, except for our friendship.

"why are you panicking, sokka? i just assumed that because you spend loads of time together and you always talk about him like he's the most important thing in the world"

"i- i do that?" i mumble.

well, i mean, zuko is extremely important for me, but that's only because he's my best friend.

right?

"uhm- yeah, you do, and you always mention him, regardless of topic" katara adds.

"that's not true!" i burst. "ugh, forget it" i roll my eyes.

she raises her arms in defense.

"woah, someone's touchy" 'tara takes a bite from her dinner.

we sit in silence until we finish the food and then we wash our plates.

"what do you wanna eat tomorrow?" my sister asks me as we're chilling on the couch.

"oh, maybe we can make some lasagna, zuko said he loves it and-" i stop when i see the look on her face.

she raises one of her eyebrows and stares at me with a smirk on her face.

"shit, i do talk about him a lot" i realise and rub my forehead.