chapter 13

zuko's POV

i slowly wake up when a ray of sunshine breaks through the curtains and hits my face. i want to rub my eyes, but i realise my arms are wrapped around something warm that is moving regularly.

it's sokka.

i'm hugging his waist, gripping on it like i'm adrift in the ocean and he's the only thing keeping me from drowning. my head is laying on his chest and i can hear his heart pumping blood in his veins.

my left leg is crossing sokka's body, being interwined with one of his legs, while his left arm is resting lazily on my back, bringing me closer to him.

i can't ignore the butterflies in my stomach and the fact that my heart literally hurts from how much i want this moment to last forever. i should probably move away, but honestly, it's the last thing i wanna do.

how the hell did this happen?

i mentally recap last night's events and i may or may not have asked him to stay in my bed, and... he did.

no, no, no, this is wrong. how on earth am i supposed to get rid of my feelings for him if things like this happen? if he continues to be so painfully sweet every time i try to push him away and distance myself?

he bought me a freaking turtleduck, how am i supposed to not fall in love with him? i know he genuinely cares about me, but just... not in the way that i want him to.

--

sokka's POV

when i gain consciousness, i feel some weight on my chest and it takes me a few seconds to realise that it's zuko. how did we even end up like this? and is it wrong that i don't want him to let me go?

his dark hair is falling in every direction all over my chest and the way the sunshine strikes his messy locks makes it impossible to ignore the urge to touch them.

i give in and run my hand softly through his hair, careful not to make any sudden moves so i don't wake him up. it is so soft and it smells so nice that i can't resist and i place a little peck on his head. he looks like an angel when he's asleep.

--

zuko's POV

sokka's playing wih my hair, he kissed my head and my body is about to disintegrate.

he probably thinks i am asleep, because he doesn't say anything, he just twirls my hair around his fingers in slow motions. he didn't push me away when he realised we are cuddling.

it pleases me that he isn't bothered by it, but as much as i want to extend this moment, it's a school day and, even if i'm not going, sokka has to.

--

sokka's POV

zuko starts stretching a little, which means that he is awake. he then distances himself quickly when he sees he's almost on top of me.

"shit, sokka, sorry, i didn't mean to-"

his voice was already deep, but apparently it's even raspier in the morning, which makes my ears tickle in content.

"it's ok" i assure him. "i didn't dislike it..." i smirk lightly.

was it weird to say that? yeah, maybe a little, but i can tell he's trying hard to restrain his smile.

"i didn't dislike it either" he says and he hides his face with his hair, but it's obvious his cheeks are flushed.

--