Chapter 28: "Oh Brianna!"

Zander's POV…

I've been laid up in this hospital, slipping in and out of consciousness due to the strong medication that the doctor had me on. I was so drugged up that I could barely keep my eyes open long enough to ask my family about how Brianna is doing. When I did get the chance to ask them, they would either avoid the question or pretend like they didn't hear me.

Little did they know that the more they kept quiet about her condition, the more suspicious I was becoming of why they were doing that. Them being all tight mouth about her condition wasn't helping me and my state of mind at all. Their actions were doing more harm than good. I was beginning to feel like whatever they were holding back from me was going to shatter my world into tiny pieces. Not knowing if my girlfriend was alive or barely hanging on was making me angry at everyone. 

Not even my friends would tell me anything about Brianna's condition. Everybody was acting like I couldn't handle the news about her condition. Since they weren't going to tell me how she was doing, then I didn't want to talk to anyone. 

I lay in the hospital bed refusing to open my eyes tightly while knowing that my brother was in the room waiting on me to talk to him. I continued to lay there turned facing the wall with my eyes closed, ignoring everything going on around me. All I wanted to hear was Brianna's sweet voice telling me that everything was going to be alright.

Tears slipped past the corner of my eyes when the last haunting images I saw of her laying in the passenger seat of my sister's car with blood dripping down the side of her face flashed behind my eyelid. The dreadful sight of seeing her head leaning up against the shattered passenger window was playing major mind games on me. It was telling that there was no way that she had made it out of the accident alive, even though I knew that she's a fighter. I also began to think that if she had somehow managed to survive, she was in way more pain than me at the moment. The more that I lay here thinking about the first alternative, the more I wanted to scream out my anger at the world for how unfair it was to the both of us.

“Little brother, how are you doing?” Alesana asked me after standing at the foot of the hospital bed. 

“Why should I answer your question if you refuse to answer any of mine?” I wanted to scream at him, instead, I just laid there pretending like I was asleep. “ Maybe he'll go away and leave me alone if I don't say anything back to him.” I then thought to myself. Boy was I wrong big time. Not only did he keep talking to me, but he also called Grams and put his cell phone on speakerphone.

“Good morning, Zander.” I hear Gram's voice echoing in the room. I still didn't say anything because I didn't want to talk about anything other than how Brianna was doing.

“Is he still asleep, Junebug?” Grams asked my brother.

“No, ma'am, he's pretending to be asleep.” He replied while yanking the sheet and blanket off me at the same time.

“Zander, I know that you're worried about Brianna's. I promise you that if I knew anything about how she's doing, I would tell you. You know that your grandma doesn't like keeping secrets from my family.” 

“I know Grams,” I responded after opening my eyes and glaring at Alesana.

“How are you feeling this morning?” Grams asked me after letting out a long sigh of relief.

“Grams, I feel like someone has tied a ten-ton brick around both of my ankles and threw me overboard into a deep, dark ocean. I feel like I'm drowning and suffocating at the same time in my own made-up thoughts of what I envision has happened to Brianna. The love I once had for living is slowly changing into something that I don't recognize.”