Chapter 17.5: Beguiling Devil

Začít od začátku

"And what way is that?" Ari asked. "Taking sides in a matter that has grown old and stale? So if he sided with humans in a long lost war. That was hundreds of years ago. Perhaps, he cares for it no longer and wishes for something different. Perhaps he wishes for me now. And you do not like that."

The air in the room grew sharp and acrid. He could not piss off this kind of demon now. If anything, he was trying to befriend him. He was kind and friendly towards him in any matter besides Kaval. 

"However, I have come learn how there can be different kinds of love. And the love he has for me and the love I have for him is anything but romantic. I cherish him dearly and I want nothing more from him than to be happy," Ari stressed. "And I know I am diluting that with my problems. Entangling him in a mess of my own creation as you say..." 

Ari ate the remaining pieces of the orange and wiped his mouth. 

"Harun, Nolan... whatever it is you may call him." Nis flailed his arms, "is a dangerous demon, devil, beast. Leave him be until you can deal with him on your own. Do not involve others. It is selfish and unwise. That demon wears as many faces as he has names." 

"I am not trying to," Ari emphasized. 

"Then deal with those matters on your own."

"I plan to," Ari said. 

"Good, then let me show you your way out." 

Nis reached for his arm but Ari snatched it away. Why was he in such a rush to kick him out now? Ari felt a rush of courage swell inside him. He did not know if it came from his past self or not, but it manifested itself in the form of indignation.  

"I am not going anywhere until Kaval wakes—"

"Do you think he will be okay with you leaving like this? Whether you would like to believe it or not, he has a job he must complete."

Ari shook his head. "He is no longer that way."

"Then why did you break your blood bond?" Nis tugged him closer tightening his grip all the while. Ari could see the specks of gold in his eyes he was so close. They were mesmerizing, despite everything.

"... I want to begin anew with him is all. I want to be by myself and learn everything myself and he would not sit idly by and not try to find me." 

Nis withdrew his hand and threw his head back. "What a fine answer." 

It was not just an answer. It was how he truly felt. Ari was afraid of being alone, but he had so many things to think about on his own and his plan on what to do next should be of his own making. Ari was once independent and capable of handling his own. Freir and Rein taught him the importance of it a long, long time ago. 

After spending some time with Auovin and Cyrus... he became more engrossed in the notion of love and left many of those things that kept him alive for so long behind. They were stronger and older—much wiser, Ari reasoned back then. That was no longer a suitable reason now. He did not want their protection or flawed reasoning, for the matter. If he wanted to do anything to make change, he would have to do it on his own and with his own power not someone else's. 

"This will be the last thing I ask of you... " Ari murmured. 

Nis lowered his head and chuckled before running his hands through his hair. 

"Trust me, I know."   

His voice held a sense of calm but restlessness all at once. Although his words were even, holding a tinge of coldness, Ari did not feel an once of malice within them. Perhaps, what he wanted with Kaval was well-meaning. His intentions for him, however, was undoubtedly known. He wanted him away. To where? He did not know and Ari believed he wanted it that way.