"OK, don't worry!"

The doctor had not specified how much money was appropriate, but Xu Ran knew it was insufficient. The poor, whether in the twenty-first century or now, have never been able to afford to treat their illnesses.

Three married Ge'ers had accompanied him to this place. Spouse Chen had no choice but to stay because the other two were unable to. Since Spouse Chen was the village head's spouse, Xu Ran didn't want him to stay. He didn't have an option because the other two were hesitant.

Despite the fact that he seemed to be generous as he paid the ten taels of silver, he realized that his family would have to be more frugal in the future. He had already discovered a way to make money, but now this had occurred.

Xu Ran had no intention of paying the full amount, because he couldn't. Zhang Yue and Xu Cheng had not yet separated, and the former was still a Xu Family member. Besides, Xu Cheng's beating had left him with injuries from head to foot. And Xu Ran didn't want to be the one to end up footing the bill for this man's misbehavior. In the very least, he would do his utmost to help.

Xu Ran rode back to the village with the two Ge'ers in his carriage. He did not return home after taking them to their homes; instead, he went straight to the village's ancestral hall. In the ancestral hall, there were a lot of people. The village's clan elders were all present, as were Xu Houcai and Elder Daddy Xu.

When Xu Ran walked in, everyone's gaze was drawn to him. He went to the village chief and told him all that had happened. He purposefully stressed his ten taels of silver when speaking of them, so that Xu Cheng and his companions could hear him. He had shown his kindest heart by transporting the patient to town and paying the ten taels.

Others sighed as they heard him mention the ten taels of silver, but Elder Daddy Xu shouted at Xu Ran, saying that he would rather give the silver to the b*tch than to them. Xu Ran remained motionless and silent. The situation had progressed to this stage, but the family had yet to reflect. If Zhang Yue had really died, they would probably be too afraid to shed tears.

Elder Daddy Xu was silenced by the reprimands of the crowd. Xu Houcai seldom inquired about Zhang Yue's condition. Xu Ran replied truthfully. It would cost a lot of money to treat the guy, as well as to keep him in the hospital and hire someone to take care of his bills. They still had to pay for all of the expenses.

When Elder Daddy Xu heard that it would need so much money, his legs lost strength, and he started to curse, but his voice was much lower.

After thinking a bit, Xu Ran said to the village head, "It's best if you send someone to Zhang Yue's father, daddy, and other family members, village head. Their Ge'er is now like this. Nobody knows what is going to happen next. His father and other members of his family have a right to know."

The village chief pondered it and realized that Xu Ran was right. If Zhang Yue died in this manner, and Zhang Yue's father and daddy had no idea why, and Xu Village had no explanation, the consequences could be much worse. The village's prestige would be ruined if Zhang Yue's family said anything outside.

The village's reputation could not be ruined by Xu Cheng. The village head knew what was more important and his own choice.

Elder Daddy Xu wanted to say something again but was stopped by Xu Houcai, so he could only glare at Xu Ran.

Elder Daddy Xu and Xu Houcai had not defended Xu Cheng's act upon arrival, so Xu Cheng's crime was a fact.

Finally, the village chief expressed his opinion: someone should inform Zhang Yue's family that they should come here; Xu Cheng should be locked up in the ancestral hall; and Xu Houcai and Elder Daddy Xu should return home to scrape together the silver. Xu Cheng would be imprisoned or beheaded, not only locked up in the ancestral hall, if Zhang Yue died. As long as the couple wanted Xu Cheng to live on, they would have to gather all the money even if they had to sell everything they had.