Happy New Year

Hotch arrived at Rossi's mansion for the team's New Years Eve party. Everyone else was there except for Emily when he looked around. He couldn't decide if he was relieved or disappointed by Emily not being there. There was still some time until she would be considered "late" by Rossi's standards.

    Although the majority of the team didn't know about their past, Emily and Hotch had tried to keep their fling a secret. They were never officially "together", but they had hooked up several times in the past several months. Initially, they thought they were being discrete, but only after two months, both JJ and Rossi had found out. Of course, the two were sworn to secrecy, worrying that their fling would ruin the team chemistry and make things awkward.

    But after almost of year of random yet passionate hookups, Hotch had decided to call things off. He told Emily that it was because it was interfering too much with work; but in reality, Hotch had fallen for Emily hard a long time before they had began hooking up. But he was too scared and stubborn to tell her. He worried that it was only sex to her and that she didn't care for him the way he did for her.  He wished he could, but he was worried that Emily only saw them as friends with benefits at best.

    Hotch was immediately brought out of his thoughts by hand on his shoulder. He turned and saw Morgan with a drink in hand and a smirk on his face. "So, are you going to kiss a certain someone at midnight?" He asked raising his eyes suggestively.

    Hotch knew exactly who he was talking about, but he kept his face stern and cold like usual. He contained his shock of Morgan's discovery of his and Emily's past. "No. I don't plan on kissing anyone." Hotch said simply, hoping Morgan would drop it.

    Morgan let out a sarcastic scoff. "You know exactly who I'm talking about though." Morgan said quietly. Hotch reminded silent. "We're profilers, Hotch. You really didn't think we'd all figure out that you and Prentiss were hooking up?"

    Hotch's breath hitched. They clearly weren't keeping their secret under the table like they had intended. He leaned in closer to Morgan. "It's over now. It doesn't ma—"

    As if on cue, Emily walked through Rossi's door. Hotch had to practically pick his jaw up off the floor when he saw her. She was wearing a long sleeve, short, velvet dress. It was emerald green and was very low cut. Her raven hair had been straightened and her bangs fell just on her eyebrows. Her makeup was still relatively natural, but she looked beautiful nonetheless. "Still over her?" Rossi whispered in Hotch's ear.

    The unit chief nudged his friend before the two walked up to Emily. "Sono così felice che tu possa farcela, Emily. Sei adorabile! (So glad you could make it, Emily! You look lovely!)" Rossi said in Italian, kissing Emily on both cheeks.

"Good to see you too, Rossi." Emily smiled.

"God her smile was beautiful." Hotch thought.

"What can I get you to drink?" Rossi asked walking to the kitchen.

"Gin martini up with olives would be great." Emily said letting out a relieved sigh.

"Gin martini coming right up. Make yourself at home." Rossi gestured to the living room where the team was talking.

Emily immediately looked over at Hotch who was finding it hard to look away from the stunning brunette in front of him. "Hotch." Emily smiled slightly awkwardly.

"Emily." Aaron nodded.

There was a certain tension between Emily and Hotch. Whether or not it was asked or sexual, they were both unsure. Luckily Rossi saved them from the situation by handing Emily her drink. She quickly took a sip. "I'm going to need a few more of these to get me through the night." Emily thought.

Although she'd never tell him, Emily had been almost heartbroken when Hotch had called off the fling. In the months that they had hooked up, Emily had fallen for Hotch harder than she had expected. At the beginning, they'd promised one another to not fall for each; a promise that was broken rather quickly. Emily thought about what it would be like to be in an actual relationship with him. She knew he was good in bed, but she often wondered what dating him would be like. His cold demeanor he put on at work was something everyone was used to. He rarely showed his softer side, but when he did, it made Emily smile.
—————————————
    After enjoying a night of drinks and an amazing Italian dinner prepared by Rossi, the scene had calmed a bit. JJ and Emily were talking in the corner, but out of the corner of Emily's eye, she kept catching Hotch staring at her. To which she felt a small smile creep on her lips. JJ noticed the smile on her friend's face. "What are you smiling about?" JJ asked with a curious grin.

    Emily quickly took a sip of her drink. "I'm just happy I get to spend New Years Eve with you guys." Emily said. It's not that she was lying to JJ, she just had more than one reason to be happy.

    "Guys! Come here! The countdown is about to start." Penelope said gathering everyone in the backyard to watch the fireworks and listen to the radio.

    "We're about to start the countdown to 2009 ladies and gentlemen. Less than a minute away." The radio host said.

    Emily had finished her drink and was now leaning against the bar counter in Rossi's backyard. A certain unit chief caught her eye as he began walking towards her. The brunette immediately straightened up. As he got closer, Emily noticed a small grin on his face. Hotch had stopped about a foot away from Emily. "You know," he began in a voice low enough for only her to hear. "I never really got a goodbye kiss."

    Emily stepped closer to him. Now they were only six inches apart and only getting smaller. Neither of them had really been paying attention to the countdown or their friends. It was just background noise at this point. Emily's smile grew wider as she wrapped her arms around Hotch's neck. She felt his hands grab her hips, pulling her even closer. They were now so close, Emily could see the light reflecting in Hotch's dark eyes. She tilted her head slightly before saying, "What if I never wanted to say goodbye?" She asked with a smirk.

    Without saying a word, Hotch pulled Emily's lips to his. She immediately kissed him back, pulling him closer by his neck. The two eventually pulled away, when the need for air was too great. Both of their cheeks were flushed and both were slightly out of breath. They stared into one another's eyes.

Emily quickly glanced to their left where she saw JJ and Spencer kissing as well. She let out a small chuckle before turning her attention back to Hotch who was smiling. She smiled back at him brightly. "Looks like we aren't the only ones who were hooking up." Emily said with a wink.

Hotch simply chuckled before pulling her close to him again, this time her back was pressed against his chest as they watched the fireworks. He wrapped his arms around Emily, inhaling her sweet scent. He let out a sigh of contentment as Emily grabbed his strong arms and rested her head on his chest, hearing his steady heart beat.