Silver Bells

As the light shined through the curtains, Emily began to stir. She looked out the window and saw snow falling heavily from the sky. As she turned over, she threw her arm over the body next to her, resting her head on Aaron's chest. She listened to his heart beat. It was steady and slow; a small smile grew on her face as she inhaled his scent. As she exhaled, she felt an arm wrap around her shoulder and a tender kiss atop her raven locks.

    Emily looked up and saw her boyfriend who was looking down at her with a smile. She smiled back at him, pulling his face closer to hers for a kiss. She felt him smile through the kiss before they pulled away from one another. "Good morning." Aaron's low, morning voice said as he rubbed small circles on her back, lifting up her shirt slightly.

    "Good morning, you." Emily said snuggling into Aaron's chest more.

    The two agents had been together for four years and lived together for two of those years. Although initially nervous, Emily quickly grew accustomed to living with Aaron and Jack. She was nervous that Jack would respond negatively to her moving in, maybe thinking that she was trying to replace Haley. But he welcomed her with open arms. He loved her and she loved him as if he were her own child.

    Just then, the couple heard their bedroom door open. Jack came running in in his black and red flannel pajamas with a big smile on his face. He jumped up onto their bed and crawled in between Emily and Aaron. "It's Christmas!" He shouted in delight.

    Emily and Arron couldn't help but smile. Emily gave Jack a kiss on the cheek as Aaron ruffled his hair. "Merry Christmas, buddy!" Aaron chuckled.

    "Merry Christmas, Jack!" Emily said with a smile.

    "Merry Christmas, Emmy!" Jack said smiling in Emily's direction. She loved the nickname he'd come up with for her.

    "I'll go make us some pancakes, then we'll open presents." Aaron said getting up and making his way to the kitchen.

    Emily and Jack quickly followed, hand in hand. The two watched Aaron make pancakes and soon they were done. As soon as Jack received his stack of pancakes, he scarfed them down, finishing them within fifteen minutes. Emily and Aaron chuckled to themselves as Jack put his dishes in the sink. "I'm ready for presents." Jack said with an innocent smile.

    Emily and Aaron quickly finished their food and walked over to the living room where presents lay under the Christmas tree.
—————————————
    About half an hour later, Jack had opened all his presents from his family and the team. Emily and Aaron had received a few, but then Jack pointed at a medium sized box under the tree. He crawled towards it and handed it to Emily. "This one is from daddy." Jack said with a smile.

    "Thank you, Jack." Emily said and began opening it.

    After ripping off the paper, she saw a plain white box. She looked at Aaron with a slightly confused expression before opening the box itself. Little did Emily know that Aaron was more nervous than ever.

    When she opened the box, she saw a small, navy blue velvet box sitting on a layer of white of tissue paper. Emily's mouth dropped open as she gasped. Her face was frozen on the box. "What is it, Emmy?" Jack asked looking into the box.

    The brunette didn't respond. She couldn't find the words to form a sentence together. Emily knew exactly what was in the box. She had figured it out as soon as she opened the bigger white one. She watched Aaron took the navy blue box in his hands. He kneeled down on one knee in front of Emily with hopeful and nervous eyes, opening the box to reveal a beautiful diamond ring. It had a silver band with smaller diamonds around part of the band and a larger diamond in the middle. It shimmered in the light, and Emily was left completely speechless.