Just Friends pt. 1

*set in season 4*

    Aaron sat on his couch flipping through the channels. He was alone tonight; Jack was with Haley for the weekend. He missed seeing his son everyday. For a long time, he had regretted putting in so much time into his work and not enough into his family. He missed coming home to Haley and Jack, even if she was mad at him half the time he came home.

    But he had Emily. Ever since Haley and Aaron divorced, Emily and him had gotten closer. They started talking and hanging out more. It had been a year and a half since they became close; and it had been about a year since Aaron realized he was in love with her. But he would never tell her that. He had a good thing going, and he didn't want to ruin that.

    He finally landed on something to watch: Law and Order. He laughed at it's inaccuracy, knowing his past as a federal prosecutor. He was about halfway through the show when there was a knock at his door. He glanced at his watch. It was 11:24. He furrowed his brow, wondering who could be here so late. He grabbed his gun from the table and took off the safety. He quiet walked to the door and gazed through the peep hole

    Aaron let out a sigh, seeing who was on the other side. He opened the door as he put the safety back on. Emily was on the other side of the door wearing a black trench coat and was soaking wet. She gave him an award smile as she looked at her friend. "Can I come in?" She asked nervously.

    "Of course." Aaron said moving away from the door.

    Emily noticed the gun in his hand. "Did you seriously think I was an unsub?" Emily asked with a raised brow.

    "You told me you were on a date. I didn't think you'd come over."

    "The date didn't go the way I planned. Do you have some clothes I can change into?" Emily took off her soaking wet trench coat, revealing her tight, black dress that fell halfway down her thighs. Aaron looked her up and down. Her long legs were beaming from the rain and her hair was soaking wet.

    "Yep. Same place." He said pointing to the bedroom.

    Emily made a beeline for the bedroom and quickly changed into a pair of clothes she always left at Aaron's apartment. She changed into a pair of grey sweatpants and one of Aaron's shirts. She dried her hair as best she cold before returning the living room where she saw Aaron watching Law and Order.

    The brunette joined her friend on the couch and sat across from him. He turned off the TV turned towards his friend. He grabbed her long, smooth legs and laid them on his lap. "Tell me about him." Aaron said intrigued.

    Emily let out a long sigh and rubbed the bridge of her nose. "His name was Garrett. The date was going great at first. He was a perfect gentleman. He laughed over drinks and dinner, but then he asked me what my job was." She groaned.

    "I'm assuming you told him the truth?" Aaron asked with a raised brow.

    "Of course I did. I told him that I worked for the BAU, but apparently he didn't like that. He became really uncomfortable and as soon as we were done eating he asked for the check. The worst part was that he was the one that picked me up so I had to walk to your house because it's closer than my apartment. And that's how I ended up here."

    Emily noticed a guilty look on Aaron's face. "Aaron, what did you do?" She asked concerned.

    Aaron let out a long sigh. "I had Garcia run a background check on your date." He finally confessed.

    Emily felt a burning rage inside of her. She took her legs off Aaron's lap and sat up. "What the hell, Aaron? Why would you do that?"

    "I wanted to make sure you were safe."

    "We were in a public restaurant. He wouldn't have hurt me. He works as a pediatric surgeon."

    "I know, but we've dealt with less assuming people. How do you know if he's any different?"

    Emily let out an annoyed scoff. "God! Not everyone is an unsub. Some people are actually worth getting to know outside of this team."

    "I trust people."

    "The team doesn't count. Have you ever had a meaningful conversation with someone you don't work with?" Aaron reminded quiet. "That's what I thought. You need to learn to trust people. I know it's hard with the work that we do, but the team won't always be together. You know I care about you, Aaron. I just want what's best for you."

    "You're what's best for me." Aaron said quietly, not meeting Emily's eyes.

    "I know we're close, but you need to find to start dating again. It's been almost two years since you and Haley divorced."

    "I don't want to."

    "Why not?"

    "Because I love you." Aaron blurted out. They were both taken aback by his words. Aaron had not expected himself to say that. He had always ape this emotions subsided, but he was a completely different person around Emily. He was vulnerable and honest with her. But in the moment that mattered most, Aaron's emotions betrayed him. 

    Emily was even more in shock than Aaron. She was dumbstruck she couldn't find the words to speak. After what felt like years to Aaron, he spoke up again. "Say something."

    Emily jumped off the couch and began wandered around frantically. "What do you want me to say? We've been friends for years."

    Aaron stood up off the couch as well, knowing it was best to keep his distance from his brunette friend. "Exactly! So why can't you give us a chance?"

    There was a look of sadness and hope in Aaron's dark brown eyes. One that Emily had never seen before. Emily ran her hands through her hair. "I-I don't know. I don't want to ruin what we already have. We have a great thing going right now. Have you ever thought about what would happen if we broke up?"

    "I can keep my personal and professional life separate if that's what you're asking."

    Emily groaned in frustration. "You know that's not what I asked! We work together. On a team. The whole team dynamic would be thrown off."

    "I wouldn't let that happen." Aaron room a few steps closer to Emily. She remained were she was.

    "You can't promise me that." Emily said in a sad, quiet voice.

    Aaron took the steps necessary to close the distance between them. He grabbed her by the waist, crashing their lips together. Emily was completely caught off guard. She didn't know how to respond. His lips felt perfect on hers. They were soft yet strong as he kissed her deeply. Her world came crashing down when she finally realized what was happening and the consequences that would come with it.

    Emily pushed away from Aaron, catching her breath in the process. His face was flushed as was hers. She couldn't look him in the eyes. "I-I have to go." Emily said grabbing her purse and soaking wet clothes.

    Aaron made his way over to Emily, remaining a safe distance. "At least let me drive you home. It's pouring." He said concerned.

    "It's fine. I can get a cab." She said. And with that, Emily was gone, leaving a confused Aaron standing alone in his apartment.