Sit Down & Shut Up pt. 1

Emily and JJ walked into the dark movie theater. They found their seats near the back and sat down. Soon, Emily began eating the popcorn as the previews ended. When JJ reached for some popcorn, she realized the bucket was already half gone. "Em, slow down on the popcorn. We only bought one bucket." JJ said looking at Emily who was a shoving a fistful of popcorn into her mouth.

    "I can buy another bucket, JJ. It's fine." The brunette said waving off her friend.

    Aaron and Derek arrived the movie theater minutes after. They sat down closer to front, rows in front of the girls. Aaron didn't really want to be here. He'd rather just be at home, but Derek dragged him to the movie theater. He had broken up with his ex girlfriend Haley three months ago. Aaron had been beating himself up about it; she told him he wasn't spending as much time with her as he used to. "Derek, why are we here?" Aaron asked letting out an annoyed sigh.

    "Because you need to get out. Have a milk dud." He said handing his friend the box of sticky caramel candy.

    Aaron took a few and the two watched the movie in silence. About half way through the movie, he heard a woman's voice behind him talking about a guy. "I just don't know what happened, JJ." The voice said in a loud whisper. "He stood me up at the restaurant. I thought he was interested." She didn't sound disappointed but rather frustrated.

    "Emily, if he wasn't interested, that's his problem." Another female voice said.

    Aaron rolled his eyes at the girl. He hated people who talked through movies. "I don't even know why I bother trying anymore. All my relationships fall through. I just—"

    Aaron couldn't take it anymore. He turned around in his chair to face the girl who was talking. He couldn't really see, but he saw two girls sitting together, a blonde and brunette who were talking. When the movie scene lit up, he caught a glimpse of the brunette's features. She was extremely attractive. She had shoulder length raven hair and had a small frame.

    This was the first time Aaron had found someone truly attractive since Haley. But he quickly pushed that thought out of his mind when she began talking again. "Some of us are trying to watch the movie." He hissed, eyeing the brunette.

    Emily stood up from her seat slightly, JJ grabbing her hand trying to hold her back. "And some of us need to mind our own business." She hissed back.

    Aaron's anger grew more and more. This was just a minor inconvenience, but she pushed his buttons so much. He completely stood up from his seat. "Sit down and shut up!" He said louder than intended in a booming voice.

    "Bite me!" Emily said flipping off Aaron before sitting back down.

    The two both sat back down and let out large, annoyed sighs. "Asshole." Emily said glaring at the back of Aaron's head.

    "Em, let it go. Let's just enjoy the movie." JJ said patting Emily on the shoulder.

    The two different groups of friends stayed quiet for the rest of the movie. As much as Aaron wanted her out of his mind, he couldn't stop thinking about how beautiful Emily was. Her attitude was nothing to hide, and he found it almost refreshing with her brutal honesty, but she annoyed him more than anything. He couldn't quite put his finger on why she bothered him so much, but their first encounter certainly didn't help.
—————————————
After the movie Derek and Aaron walked out of the movie theater into the darkened parking lot. "That girl who yelled at you was hot." Derek commented randomly.

This caught Aaron by surprise. He shot a shocked expression toward his friend, but in his mind he agreed. "She kept talking throughout the movie." Aaron said coldly.

"You didn't exactly react appropriately either." Aaron's friend protested. Derek stopped walking and so did Aaron. He put a hand on Aaron's shoulder. "Look man, I know you're all beat up about Haley, but it's been three months. You gotta let her go."

Although Aaron didn't speak, he nodded in reply, knowing that his friend was right. "And I think she could be just what you need to get Haley off you're mind." Derek grinned slightly.

Aaron gave his friend another questioning look. "You don't mean..." he trailed off.

"God no. I just meant to ask her out on a date." Derek shook his head in slightly disbelief.

"I don't think so. She's not really my type." Contrary to Emily's beauty, Aaron was right. He had a type and Emily wasn't it.

"Maybe 'not your type' is just what you need. That girl's in your physics class right? Emily Prentiss?"

    Aaron shrugged. He'd only seen her a few times considering he sat in front of her. He honestly didn't even know her name. "Yeah I think so."

    "Then you should ask her out. There's no harm in gettin a little lovin every once and a while."

    Aaron sighed. He knew his friend wasn't going to let this going go. Derek was persistent. "Fine. But if this goes south, it's your fault."

    Derek patted his friend on the back and smirked. "My man. There you go."

    Aaron let out a long sigh. If this went south, Emily and him would never speak again. And for some reason he was worried about what that would be like. He couldn't quite figure out why though.
—————————————
    The next day of school Aaron dreaded slightly. Unlike Derek, he was not a smooth talker. He was more closed off and didn't like to show his emotions often; not because he was cold but because he didn't trust easily, especially after Haley. Aaron wondered sometimes how he'd managed to ask Haley on a date in the first place.

    Aaron quickly pushed Haley out of his mind when he entered his physics classroom. He quickly scanned the room before his eyes fell on Emily. She was sitting in her seat fiddling with a pencil. Taking a deep breath, Aaron slowly walked up to her desk. The raven haired girl looked up at Aaron with a confused expression.

    This puzzled Aaron because he thought she would've recognized him from the movie theater, but it must've been too dark for her to see his face. He decided to keep this information to himself. Emily lifted a brow at him. "Can I help you, Aaron ?" She asked.

    Aaron was taken aback even more when she said his name. He didn't think she knew him. "How do you know my name?" He asked back.

    "I know a lot of things." She smirked. "Your name just so happens to be one of them."

    Aaron took a deep breath in. He hated Derek for making him do this. "Do you uh...want to go on a date with me?"

    He looked down at his shoes, preparing for rejection. He wasn't sure if he wanted Emily to say "yes" or "no." Emily was taken aback by his question. She barely knew Aaron, only as a classmate but there was no doubt that she found him attractive. She knew his reputation for being quiet and closed off, but the mystery made him unintentionally more attractive. She sat up in her seat before answering. "Sure." Emily replies nonchalantly. "I'm free Friday after school."

    Aaron awkwardly nods in response. "Ok. Until then." He said before walking to his desk. "That wasn't so bad." He thought. letting out a long sigh.