Tail Prototype

2nd Person POV

You and Hiccup made your way back to the village. The two of you met up with the other teens as well as Gobber for dinner. Everyone was sitting around a fire pit that was elevated about as high as the torch towers. Hiccup sat next to Gobber and you were sitting with Ruffnut on the ground in between the benches the others were sitting on.

Everyone had chicken except for you and Hiccup, who had fish. Gobber had started telling a story as soon as the two of you sat down. "And with one twist, he took my hand, and swallowed it whole. And I saw the look on his face: I was delicious. He must have passed the word, because it wasn't a month before another one of them took my leg."

The others stare in awe as you and Hiccup held bored expressions as you had heard this story before. "Isn't it weird to think that your hand was inside a dragon? Like if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from the inside by... crushing his heart, or something." Fishlegs commented using his chicken legs to animate what he said as you and Ruffnut share questioning glances.

"I swear, I'm so angry right now! I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!" Snotlout said in an angry tone as he threw around his chicken carcass.

Gobber shook his head before replying and ripping out the wing of his chicken. "Un-unh. It's the wings and the tails you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away. A downed dragon is a dead dragon." At that you and Hiccup glance at each other before you slip away to the smithy, going unnoticed by everyone but Astrid and Ruffnut since one was your sister and the other a close friend.

"Alright. I'm off to bed. You should be, too. Tomorrow we get to the big boys. Slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare. But who'll win the honor of killing it?" The remaining five teens smile at the thought of getting to kill a dragon.

Tuffnut placed his food down before putting his hands behind his head and leaning against the air. "It's gonna be me. It's my destiny. See?" He shows off a tattoo on his left arm before the others stare in confusion and awe.

They continue to talk as Gobber walks off to sleep. Then the twins began to bicker about whether it was a birthmark or a tattoo his parents didn't know about.

At the Forge with you and Hiccup

"So what's your plan?" You give Hiccup a curious look as he opens his journal and redraws the left tail fin of his Night Fury drawing. "Make Toothless a new tail and help him fly again." He begins drawing the dimensions for the tail.

"Okay but, how are you gonna get the new tail on hi- wait Toothless?!" You give him a concerned but questioning look. "Y-yeah it suits him don't you think?" Hiccup scratches the back of his neck before he grabs the materials he needs for the tail.

You move to refine his sketch into a proper blueprint as you talk. "Ok, sure it suits him but should you really be naming him?" You hand him nails and the sketch. "Oh come on you really haven't thought of a name for that girl Night Fury?"

You huff at him. "Whatever I have thought of a name but I thought names would get us too attached ya know. Aren't we just giving Toothless his tail back and letting them go?" He sighs as he sticks a newly thinned iron rod in some cool water. "I guess... Well?"