Chapter 9: Introductions and Deductions

Start from the beginning

Three houses, though they could have counted as mansions, circled a cul-de-sac, all of them facing a shared yard and parking area. The house was like ours, nestled on vast acreage, an old gate dividing it from the world. Beyond, a forest its own guardian.

A playground built from long beams and fishing nets was home to a dozen children running and screaming, parents watching from a distance.

"How many werewolves are there?" Nick asked, his face blocking my view of Anya as he half laid across us.

"We prefer wolves, more accurate." Anya pulled into her parking spot in front of the biggest, middle house. "About five families per house. I'd say they're five dozen wolves in our pack, not all that live on the land. One of the biggest in the area," Anya bragged.

We piled out of the car as the families waved, and eyes peeked through the windows, curiosity gettingthe better of them.

"Are you excited to meet the alpha?" I asked as we entered the main square.

Nick shrugged, a few beads of sweat glistening at his hairline. "Kind of nervous, if I'm being honest. What if he doesn't like me?"

"Alpha Daniel is very nice. Even as a kid, I liked him, and I didn't like many people." I said and nudged him as Anya knocked on the door. "If he doesn't want you, you can always run wild with my cousins."

Nick gave me a long side look. "I don't know if that's a good thing."

"I'm not sure either."

The door opened to show a tall, lean man with a thick beard and twinkling eyes. He looked like a friendly lumberjack with a plaid shirt and a full-lipped smile that always seemed to be present.

"Angela!" he called over his shoulder. "Anya's back with the boy and Alexis Morill."

The Luna appeared; a woman with long blond hair that frizzed around bright blue eyes. Without so much as a greeting, she pulled us into the room.

"Oh, you must be Max's boy." She enveloped Nick in a hug, her tall frame blocking him from sight. "Max was one of my dear friends as a child. He was a good man; I'll tell you about him later."

Nick's lips flickered like a hologram, caught between a smile and a slack jaw. As I watched, the thirst to know an absent father and the little gremlin of jealously beat against my chest.

"Alpha Daniel, Luna Angela." I bowed my head, extending a hand to each of them. "It has been a while and we've never been properly introduced. I'm here on behalf of the Morills. I will accompany Nick at his school until his first shift, then leave him in your capable hands."

"It's a pleasure Miss Morill. Please, feel free to request anything from us. My pack is always open to you and your family."

"Does this mean I get to be a part of your pack, even if I don't shift?" Nick looked small as he spoke, his shoulders pulled in, protecting himself. He must have been worried.

"Of course." Angela laughed the sound of chimes in her voice. "You're part of the pack by blood, though I suspect Miss Morill would not have introduced herself to you if she didn't believe you possessed the Coth gene."

"He does." I nodded, seeing the eyes turn to me. "Anya confirmed she could feel the pull. You can call me Alexis. I'd prefer that."

"Very well, Alexis." Alpha Daniel clapped Nick on the back. "There you have it. You're one of us by choice, blood, and fur."

"Congratulations, Nick." I leaned against the wall and let the wolves enjoy their reunion.

For the rest of the day, I followed a few steps behind as they introduced Nick to the pack. The warm autumn wind and dazzling sun created the perfect setting for an introduction that I expected would last a lifetime.