Chapter 56 - Shield

We find John in an abandoned building....we needed that shield back.

I was terrified of him...terrified of what he's going to do.

I follow the two as John starts to walk, "Walker..." Sam says

"You guys should see a medic, you don't look so good." John nods

"Stop, Walker." I say louder.

"What? You saw what happened. You know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!" John yells.

"He didn't kill Lemar, John." Bucky nods. "Don't go down that road. Believe me, it doesn't end well."

"I'm not like you." John hisses

"Listen, it was the heat of the battle. Okay? If you explain what happened, they may consider your record." Sam says.

"We don't want anyone else to get hurt." I nod.

"John...You gotta give me the shield, man." Sam says

"Oh, so that's what this is. You almost got me." John smiles.

"You made a mistake." Sam nods.

"You don't wanna do this." John shakes his head.

"Yeah, we do." Bucky says, Sam and I look at him.

Bucky lunges first, John uses the shield to block my power as I hurl it at him. John hurls his shield at me, before I could catch it, it hits my chest, throwing me back.

I gasp in pain as I stand to see he was hurting Bucky and Sam. I fly forward and blast his chest, sending him flying back.

He stands and throws Bucky into a metal beam, making him pass out. As he goes after Sam I tackle him, we roll across the floor together.

When I look into his mind I get thrown off guard, I could see all the horrors in his head. I scream out as he stabs the shield down into my chest, as he tries to do it again, Sam tackles him.

I hold onto my chest and gasp for air. I turn over to see Bucky slowly waking up. "B-ucky." I whisper.

I roll up as Bucky stands and tackles John. I stumble forward as they grab the shield and his arm. I run fast and jump up, kicking his arm, breaking it so they can get the shield. I unclip Mjolnir and swing it up to hit him in the face, throwing him back and knocking him out.

I fall down and cry out in pain as I put Mjolnir back.

Bucky picks me up and cradles me in his arms, he carries me out.

Later we meet back up as they take out the refugees. My chest was severely bruised.

"The GRC is conducting raids to try and find Karli, but so far they've only found her followers. They've searched this camp, and just like the last camp, nothing. She's gone. We'll never find her." Sam says angrily.

"Hey, you got your sleeve back." Torres smiles at Bucky.

Bucky starts to leave, "Are you off to take care of Zemo?" Sam asks

"All right, good to know you survived."

I stare over at Sam and walk towards the door, "Really?" Sam asks.

I run out to Bucky, "I'm coming with you."

Bucky only nods.

We knew exactly where Zemo could be.

"thought you'd be here sooner." Zemo says as he stares at the Sokovian memorial. "Don't worry. I've decided I'm not going to kill you."

"Imagine my relief." Bucky says as he takes out his gun.

"The girl has been radicalized beyond salvation. I warned Sam, but he didn't listen to me. He's as stubborn as Steve Rogers before him. But you...They literally programmed you to kill. James, do what needs to be done. Karli has people everywhere, and there's only one way to make sure she cannot continue her mission."

"I appreciate the advice." Bucky nods. "But we're gonna do it our own way."

"Yeah. I was afraid you would say that." Zemo chuckles.
Bucky puts the gun up and aims at Zemo. Zemo nods and stares over at me. I smile as Bucky shoots the blank gun and  opens his metal hand and drops the bullets.  Then the Dora Milaje stand next to him. "Ladies...I took the liberty of crossing off my name in your book. I hold no grudges for what you thought you had to do.
Goodbye, James. Y/N." Zemo nods and walks off.

"We will take him to the Raft... Where he will live out his days.
It would be prudent to make yourself scarce in Wakanda for the time being, White Wolf."

"Fair enough." Bucky nods, as the woman leaves, Bucky steps up.
"Hey! I may have another favor to ask of you."