Chapter 42 - Stones

Tony and I built the platform...it was now ready for a test run.

Clint and Thor had arrived, Clint offered to do the test.

I bite my bottom lip nervously as he gets ready to go, "Alright, Clint. We're going in 3... 2... 1!" Bruce yells.

A helmet similar to Ant-Man's but white and more visible face pops on Clint's head, and he goes quantum.

After a few seconds he materializes back, groaning in pain as he falls to his knees. Nat runs to him, "Hey, hey. Look at me. You okay?" She asks him.

Clint Holds  up the baseball glove and throws it to Tony. "Yeah, it worked. It worked."

————————————————————-

I pull up the holograms of each Infinity Stone,
"Okay, so the how works. Now we gotta figure out the when and the where. Almost all of us has had an encounter with at least one of the six Infinity Stones." Steve says.

"Well I'd substitute the word encounter for damn well near been killed by one of the six Infinity Stones." Tony nods.

"I haven't, I don't even know what the hell you're all talking about." Scott chuckles.

"Regardless, we only have enough Pym Particles for one round trip each, and these stones have been in a lot of different places throughout history." Bruce says.

"Our history. So, not a lot of convenient spots to just drop in." I nod, looking down at my phone as I order takeout.

"Which means we have to pick our targets." Clint says.

Tony points at him, "Correct."

"Let's start with the Aether. Thor, what do you know?" Steve asks.

We see Thor sitting on a chair with his sunglasses on. It is impossible to tell whether he is awake or asleep.

"Is he asleep?" Nat asks.

"No, I'm pretty sure he's dead." I nod.

Suddenly Thor wakes up and walks over to the holograms, "Where to start? Umm... The Aether, first, is not a stone, someone called it a stone before. It's more of a... an angry sludge thing, so... someones gonna need to amend that. Here's an interesting story though, many years ago... My grandfather had to hide the stones from the Dark Elves..." He wiggles his fingers to imitate a spooky ghost. "Wooooh, scary beings. So Jane," An image of Jane Foster pops up on the screen. "Oh, there she is. That's Jane... She's... an old flame of mine... She... she stuck her hand inside a rock this one time... and then the Aether stuck itself inside her... And, she became very, very sick. So I had to take her to Asgard, which is where I'm from. And we had to try and fix her. We were dating at the time, you see. I got to introduce her to my Mother... who's dead," Thor starts to look broken, and seems on the verge of tears. "and oh you know, Jane and I aren't even dating anymore, these things happen though you know, nothing last forever," Tony starts to push him back to his chair. "I'm not done yet, the only thing permanent in life is impermanence."

"Awesome. Eggs? Breakfast?" Tony asks.

"I'd like a Bloody Mary, thank you."

"Uh....foods here." I say awkwardly.

I mess with my food as Rocket talks. "Quill said he stole the Power Stone from Morag."

Scott asks, "Is that a person?"

"Morag's a planet. Quill was a person."

Scott gets excited, "A planet? Like in outer space?"

"Oh, look. It's like a little puppy, all happy and everything. Do you wanna go to space? You wanna go to space, puppy? I'll get you to space."

I look down as Steve puts his hand on my thigh.....there was a conversation we both needed to have but....we weren't ready.

To be honest I didn't know if we ever would be.