Chapter 39 - Weak

It's been 22 days since we lost against Thanos.

Tony, Nebula, and I have been floating in space, out of fuel...food. Oxygen runs out the next day.

Tony was very thin, he was weak from his wound that was still healing.

I looked much worse. You could practically see every bone in my body. At this point my suit was too big on me. I refused to eat, I needed Tony to get better. He thought I was eating but....I was saving the food for him.
But of course I had to eat and drink sometimes to at least keep myself alive...but I wasn't eating enough.

I wanted to take care of him.

At this point it gets hard to walk because I'm so weak, Tony and Nebula constantly have to watch me while I sleep because there's a chance I'll never wake up.

Maybe this was the end. Maybe this is the end of my story.

But I was wrong. A woman had taken our ship back to earth. I had no idea who she was. After getting Tony out, Nebula comes back and helps me stand. She slowly helps me walk out, I sigh in relief when I see Pepper.

Steve runs up to me and holds my other side, "Oh my god, Y/N!" He kisses my cheek as he starts to cry.

"I know...I look ho-"

I couldn't even finish my joke, I had passed out.

——————————————————————-

I wake up as Tony is standing and walking with his IV.
"Tony?"

"Stay here." He gets into a wheel chair.

Steve comes in and smiles, "If it's a meeting, I'm going."

"Y/N.."

"Steve." I warn.

Steve sighs and carries me into a wheel chair, he pushes me out and with the rest do the team. I hated the sad looks I was getting.

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodey says. I watch the screen sadly as the rest of the team who faded was shown.

"World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census. And it looks like he did... he did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent, of all living creatures." Nat nods.

Tony looks up, "Where is he now? Where?"

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through." Steve shakes his head.

"What's wrong with him?" I point at this, he was sitting in a different room, looking sad.

"Oh, he's pissed. He thinks he failed. Which of course he did, but you know there's a lot of that's going around, ain't there?"

I look over at the Raccoon sitting in the floor in shock, "Honestly, until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-A-Bear."

"Maybe I am."

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep Space scans, and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony...Y/N, you fought him." Steve says.

"Who told you that? We didn't fight him. No, he wiped our face with a planet while the Bleecker Street Magician gave away the store. That's what happened. There was no fight." Tony says.

"Okay." Steve nods.

"He's unbeatable." I whisper.

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates, anything?" Steve asks.

"Pfft! I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't wanna believe it. Thought I was dreaming." Tony nods.

"Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus." Steve says.

"And I needed you. As in past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late buddy. Sorry. You know what I need?" Tony stands, pushing things off the table with a clatter. Everyone winces at the noise. "I need to shave. And I believe I remember telling all youse -"

Tony goes for Steve. Rhodey quickly comes in front of him, trying to stop him. "Tony, Tony, Tony!"

"Alive and otherwise what we needed was a suit of armor around the world! Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not- that's what we needed!" Tony yells.

"Well, that didn't work out, did it?"

"I said, we'd lose. You said, We'll do that together too. And guess what, Cap? We lost. And you weren't there. But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the Avengers, we're the Avengers. Not the Prevengers." Tony says angrily.

"You made your point. Just sit down." Rhodey nods.

"Okay..."

"Okay?" Rhodey softly grabs him.

I felt to weak to even stand or say anything.

"Nah, nah. Here's my point. You know what?"

"Tony, you're sick." Rhodey says.

He points at Carol. "She's great, by the way....We need you. You're new blood. Bunch of tired old mules!" Tony walks right up to Steve's face, his voice hushing down to a venomous whisper. "I got nothing for you, Cap! I got no coordinates, no clues, no strategies, no options. Zero. Zip. Nada. No trust. Liar." Steve looks affected by Tony's words. The old friends just gaze at each other. After a moment, Tony rips his Arc Reactor from his chest and shoves it into Steve's hand. "Here, take this. You find him, and you put that on. You hide."

As Tony is yelling, my head falls back, I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.

I wake up feeling a hand in mine, when I open my eyes I see Tony across from me sleeping, with pepper sleeping at his side. I turn my head over to see Steve holding my hand.

"Hey." He whispers.

"Hi."

"How are you feeling?" He asks.

"Thin. Like I'm going to slip away."

"Let me go get Bruce." Steve starts to stand but I try to use all my strength to pull him back.

"No...stay. I want you to stay with me. Don't leave me again please. My heart can't physically take it." I start to cry.

"I won't....I won't." He sits back down and caresses the side of my face.

"I've kept your letter all this time." I hand it to him. "Hoping you'd one day come back to me."

"I didn't think you wanted me to." He sighs.

"I do. I've forgiven you a long time ago Steve." I whisper.

"I love you, Y/N." He smiles.

"I love you, Steve." I raise my hand up and press it on his cheek, Steve leans forward and softly kisses me.

"I'm gonna get you better...I promise."