Chapter 46 - Snap

I was laying on my side in a bench, my head laying on Steve's lap. Steve was softly caressing my hair and face.

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asks.

"Yeah. Us." I whisper.

Thor looks at Tony confused. "What?"

"I just asked him a question-"

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together." Thor raises his voice.

"We can't get her back." Clint speaks up.

"Wha– what?"

"It can't be undone. It can't." Clint looks at Thor.

Thor dryly laughs, "I'm sorry. No offense, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And can't seems very definitive don't you think?"

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?" Clint asks.

This shakes his head, "No, that's my point–"

"It can't– be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? GO GRAB YOUR HAMMER, AND YOU GO FLY AND TALK TO HIM!" Clint yells. His anger is quickly replaced with grief. "It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it."

"Clint's right, Thor. I looked into his mind. I saw it all." I sit up and wipe my tears.

In a burst of anger, Bruce grabs a bench and hurls it clear across the lake. His anger spent, he turns to us with a resigned look on his face. "She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to."

"We will." Steve nods.

Back in the lab, Tony carefully places the stones in the gauntlet he made while Bruce, Rocket, and I watch. With nervous precision, Tony manipulates the machine and carefully places all six stones into the gauntlet.

"Boom!" Rocket yells, laughing as we all jump.

"I swear to god!" I yell.

We all gather around it, "All right. The glove's ready. Question is, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?" Rocket asks.

"I'll do it." Thor steps up.

"Excuse me?" Scott asks.

Thor smiles, "It's okay."

"No, no, no, whoa. Stop. Stop. Wait a sec. Hey, hey–" We all yell.

"Wait, wait, Thor, just wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet." Steve says.

"I'm sorry. What, we're just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" Thor asks.

"We should at least discuss it." Scott nods.

"No, no, sitting here staring at that thing is not gonna bring everybody back. I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty." Thor nods.

Tony shakes his head, "It's not about that–"

I grab his arms, "Thor please stop." I tilt my head.

"It's not that– Stop it! Just let me! Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right." He holds onto me and starts to cry.

"Look– It's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent, I'm telling you, you're in no condition." I nod.

"What do you– What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" He asks.

"Cheez Whiz?" Rhodey asks.

"Lightning." Thor smiles at me.

"Yeah." I nod.

"Lightning won't help you, pal. It's gotta be me."
Brice suddenly says. "You saw what those stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive."

"How do we know you will?" Steve asks.

"We don't. But the radiation's mostly gamma." He takes a good look at the gauntlet. "It's like...I was made for this."

We all prepare,standing in our suits and armor "Good to go, yeah?" Tony asks.

"Let's do it." Bruce nods.

"You remember– everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago and just bringing them back to now, today. Don't change anything from the last five years." Tony nods:

"Got it."

"Friday, do me a favor and activate Barn Door Protocol. Will you?" Tony asks.

The whole facility goes on lockdown.

"Everybody comes home." Bruce nods.

I create a shield of my power to protect myself and Clint.
Bruce puts on the gauntlet, which nanobotically expands to fit his hand, and the power surge overwhelms him. He grunts in pain.

"Take it off! Take it off!" Thor yells.

"No, wait. Bruce, are you okay?" Steve asks.

"Talk to me, Bruce!" I yell.

"I'm okay. I'm okay." Brice nods as Thor gives a double thumbs up. Bruce screams, fighting through the intense pain coursing through his body courtesy of the gauntlet, and manages to snap his fingers. He faints and the gauntlet slides off his arm, Clint kicks it away.

"Bruce!" I yell.

"Don't move him." Tony sprays his wounds.

Brice wake sip and holds onto Steve's arm. "Did it work?"

"Worth a shot. It's over. It's okay." Thor smiles.

I look back as the windows start to open, before I could say anything, there was a huge explosion.