Chapter 41 - Failed Trial

"Come on, I feel like I'm the only one eating." Bruce pushes a plate forward. "Try some of that. Have some eggs."

"I'm so confused." Scott says.

You see, Bruce wasn't just Bruce anymore...he was both Hulk and Bruce. "These are confusing times."

"Right. No, no, that's not what I meant." Scott says.

"No, I get it. I'm kidding! I know. It's crazy. I'm wearing shirts now."

"Yeah! Wh...How? Why?" Scott shakes his head.

"Five years ago, we got our asses beaten. Except it was worse for me. Because I lost twice. First, Hulk lost, then Banner lost. Then, we all lost."

"No one blamed you, Bruce." Nat says softly.

"I did. For years, I've been treating the Hulk like he's some kind of disease, something to get rid of. But then I started looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in a gamma lab. I put the brains and the brawn together. And now look at me. Best of both worlds..."

Three children behind Bruce walk up to him tentatively "Excuse me, Mr. Hulk?"

"Yes?"

"Can we get a photo?" A girl asks.

"100%, little person. Come on, step up." Bruce holds out the phone to Scott. "You mind?"

"Oh, yeah." He takes it and gets ready to take a photo of them.

"Thanks, Say green!" The children and Bruce say Green as Scott snaps the photo. "Did you get that?"

Scott leans forward to hand back the phone. "Don't you wanna grab one with me? I'm Ant-Man." The kids start look away awkwardly, "They're Hulk fans, they don't know Ant-Man. Nobody does."

"Wait, no, no, he feels bad. No, he wants you to...he wants to...You want to take a picture with him, right?" The boy shakes his head vigorously.

"Stranger Danger." The boy mutters.

"He's even saying no he doesn't. I get it. I don't want it either." Scott nods.

Brice holds his hands out, "But, come on, the kid! But he...but you..."

Scott shakes his head, "I don't want a picture with them."

"He's gonna feel bad." Bruce says to the kinds, he then turn to Scott. "Sorry. They said they'd do it."

"I don't want it anymore."

"No, no...you feel bad." Bruce says.

"Just take the goddamn phone." Scott gives it back and rolls his eyes.

"Thank you, Mr. Hulk." The girl smiles.

"No, it's great kids. Thank you very much. Hulk out!" Bruce smiles.

"Bruce." Steve says, trying to draw back his attention.

"Dab!" Bruce laughs.

"Bruce." Steve says again.

"Listen to your Mom. She knows better."

"About we were saying..." Steve tries to get his attention for the third time.

"Right. The whole time travel do-over? Guys, it's outside my area of expertise." Bruce says.

"Well, you pulled this off. I remember a time when that seemed pretty impossible time, too."

—————————————————-

The next day we set everything up....it was now time for a test run.