Chapter 44 - Meeting Dad

The three of us were walking through a military base, all changed to the appropriate clothing.

"Clearly, you weren't actually born here, right?" I ask, pointing to a sign.

"The idea of me was." Steve nods.

"Right. Well, imagine you're Shield, running a quasi-fascistic intelligence organization. Where do you hide it?" Tony asks, looking around.

"In plain sight." Steve nods to a building ahead.z

We enter a elevator with another lady, I start to get nervous as I follow Tony out of the elevator, "Good luck on your mission, Captain." I smile.

"Good luck on your project, doctors." Steve nods.

Tony and I hurry through some sort of dark lab or office. "Tony! Here!" I point to a case.

Tony starts to cut into the case, "Gotcha. Back in the game." Tony smiles.I hand him a briefcase and turn as we hear a voice.

"Arnim, you in there? Arnim?"

"Hurry." Tony and I turn and start walking away,.

"Hey! Door's this way, guys!" We stock and turn to see....our father.

"Oh, yeah." Tony nods.

"I'm looking for Dr. Zola. Have you seen him?"

"Yeah, no, Dr. Zol– No, I haven't seen a soul." Tony awkwardly bumps into a chair. "Pardon me."

"Do I know you?" Dad asks.

"No, sir. We're v-visitor's from MIT." Tony nods.

"Huh. MIT. Got a name?"

"Uh– Howard." Tony nods.

"Well, that'll be easy to remember." Dad smiles.

"Howard– Potts."

"Well, I'm Howard Stark." He holds out hand to shake.

"Hi." Tony grabs Howard's finger.

"Shake it, don't pull it."

"Yeah-"

"What's your name young lady?" Dad looks at me.

I couldn't stop smiling, "Y/N....Y/N Romanoff." I nod. "I have to say....it's a pleasure meeting you. I think your brilliant....I've waited a long time to meet you." I shake his hand.

"That's very sweet. I would offer to take you out for a drink, but I have a wife." He points to his ring, thinking I'm flirting,

"Oh uh...you look too much like my father. So...that would be weird." I awkwardly laugh.

"Ah...must be a handsome man then." He laughs. "You look a little green around the gills there, Potts." He points at Tony,

"I'm fine. Just, long hours."

"Wanna get some air? Hello, Potts." Dad waves a hand.

"Yeah. That would be swell."

The three of us start to walk, "Need your briefcase?" Dad points.
Tony grabs the case, "You're not one of those beatniks, are ya, Potts?"

Tony laughs and we enter the elevator. "So, flowers and sauerkraut. You got a big date tonight?" Tony points.

"My wife's expecting. And, uh– Too much time in the office."

"Congratulations." I smile, Tony looks away for a moment.

"Thanks. Hold this, will you?" He hands The items to Tony.

"Yeah, sure. How far along is she?"

"I don't know– Uh– She's at the point where she can't stand the sound of my chewing. I guess I'll be eating dinner in the pantry again." He smiles.

Tony smiles softly, "I have a little girl."

"A girl would be nice. Less of a chance she'd turn out exactly like me."

"What'd be so awful about that?" I ask.

"Let's just say that the greater good has rarely outweighed my own self-interests."

"So, where are you at with names?" I ask.

"Well, if it's a boy, my wife likes Elmonzo."

"Huh, Might wanna let that stew awwhile. You got time." Tony nods.

We step outside, "Let me ask you a question. When your kid was born– were you nervous?" He asks Tony.

"Wildly. Yeah."

Dad nods, "Did you feel qualified? Like you had any idea how to successfully operate that thing?"

"I literally pieced it together as I went along, I thought about what my Dad did, and–"

"My old man, he never met a problem he couldn't solve with a belt." Dad laughs.

"I thought my dad was tough on me. And now, looking back, I just remember the good stuff, you know. He did drop the odd pearl."

"Yeah? Like what?" Dad smiles.

"No amount of money ever bought a second of time."

"Smart guy." Dad nods.

"He did his best."

"Let me tell you. That kid's not even here yet, and there's nothing I wouldn't do for him. Good to meet you, Potts, Romanoff." Dad turns.

Tony pulls him in and hugs him, "Yeah, Howard– Everything's gonna be all right. Thank you– for everything– you've done for this country." Tony pulls away, I stand in my spot.

"Romanoff?"

I also pull him and and rest my head on his chest, starting to cry. After awhile I let go. "I'm sorry Da-Sir. You just remind me so much of my father...he's been gone for a long time." I nod.

"Oh...it's no problem at all." He nods. "Here." He pulls out a flower form the bouquet, "Take care." He turns.

I hold the flower close to my heart as I walk back. I've always wanted to meet him.

After going back through the Quantum Realm, we land back in the compound. "Did we get them all?" Bruce asks.

"You telling me this'll actually work?" Rhodey smiles.

There's a pause as everyone starts to realise someone is missing.
"Clint, where's Nat?" I ask as he falls to his knees.

After reading his mind I fall on my knees, screaming in pain.

My heart was ripped out.