15. The Quarterback

Start from the beginning

"You should sit down," Max said. "Do you have any painkillers? Maybe we should take you to see the nurse?"

"Max, for crying out loud," Troy sighed. "Would you just please take a breath and calm down?"

"But he said–"

"I heard him. Sky, do you need to sit down?" Troy asked.

"I'm fine, like I told you already," I muttered.

"See? He'll tell us if he needs something, right Sky?" Troy asked me.

"Yes," I said gratefully.

"But–" Max tried one more time and earned a slap to the back of his head from Troy.

"You are killing me..." Troy muttered in annoyance.

I let out a light chuckle and looked at Max, who was rubbing the back of his head with an angry expression on his face. Troy seemed pretty pleased with himself and ignored Max completely.

"Should we stay inside or outside?" Troy asked.

"Inside," Max said. "It looks like it's going to rain soon."

I looked out of the windows. Max was right. The sky looked gloomy, and the wind was getting strong again. The yard was still covered with broken pieces of fences and other trash from yesterday. The tornado had luckily avoided the city, but the storm had done pretty heavy damage to the buildings and forests.

I followed Max and Troy to our next class. The hallways were crowded and noisy, and my head started hurting too. Luke had lunged me hard against the lockers, and now I could feel it in my entire body.

When we stopped next to the right classroom, I let out a long sigh and leaned against the wall. Max looked worried, but this time it was Troy who spoke first.

"Are you sure you're all right?"

"I'm fine," I sighed once again. "Stop asking me that."

I saw Luke behind Max and Troy. He glared at me for a moment before he turned to talk to his friend.

"You don't look too good," Troy said. "Is your leg hurting that bad?"

"I told you we should take him to see the nurse," Max said. "Sky? Are you with us?"

"I – am – just – fine," I articulated loud and clear. "Stop asking already."

Luke glanced at me again. There was something weird in his eyes when his gaze met mine, but I turned to look away before he'd get mad at me again. There was something really ominous about the way he kept looking at me.

"I think you should get a new partner for the biology project," I told Max to get something else to think about. "Maybe he'll let you do it with Troy and his partner."

"No. You're my partner," Max said. "I don't want anyone else."

I blushed at his words and looked down to hide it. I could only wonder if he knew how much those words meant to me.

"Then we need to come up with another subject," I continued. "I can't go looking for the owls like this."

"We will find a way," Max said reassuringly.

"Max, you know there's no way I can walk to the barn, and you can't carry me there. We need another subject," I spoke quietly.

Max looked sad, but I guess he was too stubborn to admit I was right.

"We could also ask if we can change the subject," I suggested, since his sadness started eating me up pretty fast.

"I don't want to change the subject," Max murmured. "I have my hiking boots and all."