60. Divorce On The Cards?

Start from the beginning

He knelt down and took her hands in his once again. "You know how worried I was when you locked yourself inside the cabin. The fire line passes through the room. Anything could have happened. You should be a little more mature about things, right?" it was new information for her. Anything could have happened if that was the case. Maybe he was right but she was too upset to accept her faults. "I know you are mad at me but this punishment is way bigger than the crime," he added.

There was a knock on the door. "It must be the lunch. Now your mood will be fine once food reaches your stomach." Only now she paid attention to the rumbles inside her stomach. He was right in this case too. Part of the reason she couldn't judge properly was hunger. She leaned her head backward hitting the headrest of her chair.

"Annika!" he called her for the nth time. She sat upright. Not knowing for how long she had been silent, she waited for him to speak.

"Food is here. You had breakfast pretty early in the morning. I am sure you are hungry. At least I am," he served the food to both her and himself. Annika picked up the spoon and began eating. She didn't know if her decision was right. It was made in five seconds. It could be wrong. Most likely it was wrong. There were many marriages without love. At least hers had half of it. Then again, she didn't want a marriage of convenience. A marriage based on money. A marriage born out of selfishness. Shivaay could never learn to love. He himself said so. She won't want him to live with liability in form of a wife. So why not free the person she loved dearly and take all the pain herself?

***

"Oh, I had something to tell you," Shivaay wiped his mouth upon finishing his lunch, "I am going to Belgium next month for business-related purposes. You should come along." He really hoped she did. His trip to Belgium fortunately or unfortunately fell in time for their six-month anniversary. He didn't want to be away from her on that day and he wanted to finish the honeymoon they couldn't start.

"I won't be needed," she said.

He furrowed his eyebrow. "It's actually a two-day work but if you come we can extend it to fifteen days," he hinted.

"I will tell you later," she said.

He nodded not going to the depth of her words. She looked sad and he noticed it very well. He knew exactly why she was off. However, he couldn't do anything about it. The answer to the question she asked would only make her mood worse. Her spoilt mood would in turn torment him.

There was another knock on the door. "I asked them to not disturb us."

"Shivaay, let them in. Must be urgent."

A small smile captured his lips. She talked normally after a long time and he liked it. "Come in."

It was Mishra, his personal assistant. "Sir, we have a group meeting in less than an hour. If you want to check the agenda once again—"

Shivaay quickly glanced at Annika before replying, "Keep it on the desk. I may cancel the meeting. I will let you know." Mishra placed the agenda sheet on the table and left.

"No need of that. Go and attend your meetings. After all, you worked very hard for it." So hard that he had to marry a liability for this.

Shivaay frowned detecting a negative tone in her voice. "Are you sure? In fact, why don't you come along."

"Shivaay, I am not a glass doll to break if you are not around," she put it nice and straight, "I have to learn being by myself so why not start now?"

"Why are you talking like this all of a sudden? That's why I get worried."

"You don't need to be. I want to care for myself from now on."