Liu Tong also found that he had a habit of waking up late. He stayed up all night thinking about something. He didn't fall asleep until the early hours. It's no surprise he didn't know when Ran left the house this morning.

Hearing that they were going to the mountain these two days, Liu Tong hurriedly said, "It's too dangerous in the mountain. We can't bring Tangtang and Guoguo with us this time."

"Of course," Xu Ran said with a smile. Tangtang, Guoguo, and the four dogs will be sent to Wu Mei's home. Let's give them some cash and dare tell them to look after them for a few days. We'll go up the mountain when we're ready for solid food.

"Okay, we'll make some steamed bread tomorrow morning and take it with us."

They spoke about their work in hushed tones, as though they'd never been off from each other. Nothing had ever changed, in fact. It was just that Liu Tong had overanalyzed the situation. "Tongtong, do we still have any rice?" Xu Ran asked abruptly after the conversation. "I'm starving."

Liu Tong didn't know he hadn't eaten anything until he noticed Xu Ran's pitiful expression. "Wait a minute," he said, looking at the dishes on the table in the room. "I'm going to start heating up the food. I wasn't sure when you'd return, so I let the kids eat first."

"Alright, I'll have a break first."

Xu Ran was really tired. He sat there in a daze and soon fell asleep leaning against the wall.

When Liu Tong came out, he found Xu Ran was sleeping soundly. He wanted to wake him up for dinner. However, looking at the fatigue on his face, Liu Tong kept back his words.He walked over to Xu Ran and gently picked him up and put him on the bed. Then he sat down next to the bed, holding a fan in his hand and gently shaking it to cool himself down.

The sun had already set by the time he awoke. Xu Ran had gotten a good night's sleep and felt revitalized all over. There were no other people in the place. He abruptly walked out of the room. He saw Liu Tong talking to someone he didn't recognize, and he had no idea where Tangtang and Guoguo were.

Seeing that the man was also a Ge'er, Xu Ran didn't disturb him. Then he slowly went to the kitchen. There was still some food left by Liu Tong in the kitchen, which was still preserved on the stove. He was so hungry that he directly brought it out to eat.

As their lives improved, they were able to eat refined rice at every meal. Xu Ran had never eaten brown rice since. He had to eat brown rice in the past. Xu Ran simply asked Liu Tong to buy refined rice now that they had enough money.

The kids were pleased to have refined rice as well, but Liu Tong was concerned. It was his first time eating refined rice, he said. There had never been a meal without brown rice in the past. Since his father's death, he had never seen, let alone eaten, refined rice, except when celebrating the Chinese New Year.

His words pierced Xu Ran's heart.

Thus, after that, they had never eaten brown rice again.

Xu Ran was eating his meal while reflecting on the past. He didn't realize Liu Tong was still talking to that Ge'er until he had finished his meal and washed the dishes. It was uncomfortable for Xu Ran to join them. It wasn't the modern world, after all. If a man met with a Ge'er alone, it would be gossiped about.

As he found nothing better to do, Xu Ran simply went back to his room and started to read.

Next spring was just the imperial examinations. He would have a try. Yet, what was frustrating was that he even had to start from the lowest pupil level.

However, he was ecstatic as he saw the promising future ahead of him. He could grasp the majority of conventional characters, despite their complexity. After all, in his previous life, he had pursued a higher education. It was very interesting that he was profoundly absorbed in reading by keeping guessing and reading.

After finishing the conversation with that Ge'er, Liu Tong returned to find Xu Ran reading in the room, so he didn't bother him. Then he went straight into the kitchen to start preparing dinner. Tangtang and Guoguo returned while he was cooking. They were happily conversing, with the occasional barking of dogs.

Liu Tong put down his business and brought the kids into the room, "Where did you go this afternoon? Like your daddy, you two are back sweating like a pig."

"Daddy, we are playing. Is dad back?"

It was Tangtang who replied. Guoguo had already gone washing his face. He was such a lovely boy that he also carried a pot of warm water for his elder brother after he had washed himself.

Looking at the adorable faces of the two kids, Liu Tong felt quite warm in his heart, he smiled, "Yes, he has already been back in the afternoon. And now he is reading in the room. Be quiet. Don't disturb him."

No sooner than Guoguo had finished his washing had he called Tangtang to wash. And he replied on behalf of himself and his brother, "Got it!"

It was Guoguo this time. They were almost similar, which surprised him a little. Liu Tong did not call Xu Ran to eat until the dinner was ready.

It was quite relaxing and happy to enjoy the family-chatting. After the meal, Xu Ran would tell the whole family some stories or what he thought, so then the family could communicate with each other.

"Tangtang and Guoguo, daddy and I will make a trip to the mountain in a few days. Maybe it will take a few days, so could you please stay with Daddy Wu Mei for a few days?"

With Peanut in his arms, Guoguo asked while tilting his head, "Dad, are you going to pick some chillies there?"

"Yup, if we don't go, we won't have money to celebrate the Spring Festival. Do you want to have a good celebration?"

"Yes!"

The two children responded without hesitation. They really wanted it, despite the fact that they had not celebrated the New Year in the previous five years. However, since it was one of the few days that they were not hungry, the Spring Festival was always a happy occasion for them. They couldn't say no. Of course, Xu Ran was looking forward to his first year in this world as well, so he had to fight hard not just for his children but also for himself.

04.10.21