"holy god of the ocean" ~6

It's after school, and I'm impatiently waiting for volleyball tryouts to start. The coach is running a bit late, so all of the girls are stuck outside the gym, aimlessly standing around. I look down at my phone as I'm texting Clark, Tony, and Alek in our group chat.

🏎 The Racing Boyz 🏎

R- How's she doin???

C- Better, not great, but she's ok for now.

A- She's been happier ever since we told her you and Nate are coming to visit.

T- Yeah, she misses you two a lot.

R- Awe my lil bookworm misses us 🥺

R- Has she been able to read?

C- Yeah, here and there. It's getting harder for her because she's been feelin weaker the passed few days.

R- Awe. Ugh I have to go, volleyball tryouts are finally starting 🙄

R- I could just skip though, this is more important.

T- ROSALYN EMERSON

A- HOW DARE YOU

C- GO INTO THAT GYMNASIUM AND KICK VOLLEYBALL BUTT

A- Gracie will be fine. She's a fighter and the doctors said that it was just the flu. They're just holding her in for observation.

T- Yeah, so need to worry.

C- We promise.

R- Ok ok ok, luv u guys. be safe and tell Gracie I said hi.

A- Bye R

C- Peace out Rose.

T- See ya!

I head into the gym with the others girls, throw on my shoes and knee pads, then start stretching. Soon enough, the coach walked in and started telling us how tryouts were going to go.

"Alright Ladies, We will be doing three types of drills that focus on hitting, passing, and setting. Then for the last hour we will do a game of 6 on 6. First, grab a partner and work on stretching your arms then start peppering back and forth." 

We all followed Coach Teagan's directions and paired up. I felt a tap on my shoulder and spun around to face a girl around my height of 5'6". 

"Hi! You're the new girl right? My name's Jenna, do you want to be my partner?" I felt relieved that I wouldn't have to ask someone, and quickly nodded my head with a small, shy smile.

"Hi, my name's Rosalyn!" The only people who call me Rose are my close friends and family.

"Well, Rosalyn, welcome to Oak Roads High School!"

"Why thank you miss!" I responded in a posh accent. 

"I like you. You're funny!" I chuckled in response and grabbed a ball from the ball cart.

We started stretching our arms by doing different exercises I've learned over the years. Pretty soon we were ready to pepper, we began passing, setting, and spiking at each other back and forth. We held a steady pace, and haven't once dropped the ball or missed a hit in the 20 minutes we have been peppering. Everyone stopped what they were doing once coach blew her whistle.

"Alright girls, time for drill one of the day."

~~~~~~~~

By the end of tryouts, 3 hours have passed since school ended. I was sweaty, tired, sore, and ready for bed.