Chapter 61- The Spell of Life

(STELLA P.O.V)
Everyone had stopped fighting seeing the arrival of the newcomer, all except for my relatives- Sirius and Bellatrix. Even though they were related, the immense hatred for each other was clearly etched on their faces. Sirius ducked her spell and taunted, “Come on! You can do better than that!”

Trust Sirius to taunt the craziest Death Eater on Earth!

Everything turned in slow motion around me as I saw my aunt’s frenzy increasing. I think it was due to the sudden adrenaline rush into my system that I was able to witness clearly how my aunt waved her wand in lightning motion. I could only watch in horror as she turned to cast the deadly spell. There was no time for Sirius to even register what was happening, actually no one could. She was a brilliant witch- not one to be easily brought down. And Sirius' taunt only increased her anger and determination.

The only person who could see any of this was me- everyone else was either watching the furious Dumbledore or the laughing Sirius. No body even witnessed Bellatrix casting the spell. I knew I wouldn’t be able save him even after knowing what was coming. My fear which had been penetrating me since the morning again paved its way in. You are hopeless, Stella Carina Malfoy! You know you can stop all of this! You are the most powerful witch on Earth! But you won't! You can even save Sirius now, but you won’t! You know why? Because you are utterly hopeless. You only lean on others for help and guidance- you have no backbone, just like your brother! You are pathetic!

“NO!” I shouted at my inner voice, having no idea that I had said that out loud. No one paid heed to me- all focused on the battle upfront.

I am a bloody strong witch! I can do wandless magic and I am an elemental! What the hell is wrong with me- thinking I can't save Sirius?! I can do it! I am STELLA CARINA MALFOY- THE DARK ANGEL! An Angel in Darkness!!!

With a new-found source of determination, I slowed the curse to a great degree that was coming Sirius’s way at an alarming speed. Yet, he was busy laughing and not moving out of the way. How was he an Auror in first place?! Using all my strength, I shouted the first spell that came in my mind, “NOLITE MORTEM.” I don't remember what hand movement I had done- I only followed my instincts and hoped that it would petrify him just like it did to the old woman. 

I willed my spell to reach Sirius faster than Bellatrix’s. I had consumed all of my energy manipulating the air in the room, yet I held on to the spell as though it was a life force. Probably it was for Sirius. You can let it go! There is no one to blame you! The same voice that I had begun to fear said in my head in a soothing voice.

For once, I was tempted to let it go. I would be at peace with my body, at least. But then I remembered its mocking laughter at my failure. No! I have to fight my fears! I can do this! A life depends on me! Harry’s last family depends on me! And I am going to give my best! I won't give up so easily!

However, both the curses reached Sirius at the same time. Nobody knew that two spells had been shot as mine was invisible. I didn’t know whether my spell had worked or not. Had he been petrified before the killing curse hit him? The next thing I knew had me frozen, the petrification curse didn't matter anymore - Sirius was falling down the veil. NOOOOOO! This can't happen! 

I tried to get him back using my air elemental but the strangest thing happened. It was as if air didn’t recognize anyone to be there. Was it this mirror? The evil veil which was preventing me from my tries! The one which was taking an innocent life away!

I stumbled backwards when his whole body went through the veil; no matter how hard I tried to manipulate the air. I had failed! I could have stopped him from going to the gallows had I been faster! I couldn’t save him! I am a failure.

My mind was numb and I couldn’t hear anyone saying or doing anything. I didn't hear Harry's shout of disbelief; I didn't hear Bellatrix's taunt; I didn't see Harry being held by Remus! I didn't see anything at all. All I could do was stare at that veil that had confirmed all my fears. I was a hopeless cause!

The next thing I could feel was Harry being torn apart from his mind. The pain that my necklace was revealing crumbled me and made me lean against a wall. The Kraken had finally possessed Harry and was trying to kill him from the inside. Tears welled up in my eyes feeling the pain Harry was going through. My knees shook and I feel down. I couldn’t take it anymore- my failures! How much had I failed? Sirius and now Harry as well?! No! No! Please, no! Let it stop! I started shaking from the pain that traveled through my body but nobody paid any attention to me.

However, as I fell down, everything calmed down. I knew that Harry felt much better now- Voldemort had left his mind. Still shaking, I felt something beside me- something hard and oddly shaped. Wiping my tears, I traced my fingers over it and gasped in realization. 

I pondered over the spell I had used. I intook a sharp breath- I had used the spell to stop the killing curse and create a perfect diversion as well. I had been working on it for months. I didn't know what kind of distraction I wanted but I had let my instincts run wild. My complex wand movement had made it turn out to be a mixture of quiet a number of spells. Invisibility charm, summoning charm and delusion charm- this was something I never ever comprehended!

I had not failed anyone. My tears of sadness suddenly turned into tears of joy.

I heard a stomp of footsteps and a number of Aurors came trashing in. Realizing my position, I walked over to Lupin who was holding my father. I deliberately avoided any kind of eye contact with him. I had just betrayed my own father!

“I need to go back to school. Someone might note my absence, plus they shouldn’t know that I am Dumbledore’s granddaughter. It will be highly risky,” I said quietly, momentarily forgetting that my father hadn’t been stunned. I spared him a last glance- I could still see the fire in his eyes but along with that there was something else as well- something I couldn’t put my finger on.

With a shake of my head, I turned to Lupin, who only nodded gravely, tears still etched on his scarred face at the loss of his best friend. I gave him a sad smile and squeezed his shoulders gently.

Taking a deep breath, I grabbed Sirius's invisible body and apparated to my dormitory.