Chapter 40- The Truth behind the Lie

(STELLA P.O.V)

I ran as fast as I could, not looking back. The only place and person on my mind- Albus  Dumbledore! I was angry; angrier than I ever remembered being! How could he have lied to me about something so crucial! So terrible! So horrifying!

I was almost shaking from anger by the time I had reached his office. The griffin saw one look at my face and stepped aside. I climbed the stairs to his office and opened the door.

“DUMBLEDORE!” I thundered!

My wrath was so high that I failed to even think that someone else might be at his office. Naturally, Snape and Dumbledore were shocked to see me. I was positive that by now my hair must have become red from anger- eyes as well; fresh tears were rolling down my cheeks and my honest evil look had them backing away in fear.

The shock didn’t last long as Snape swiftly pulled out his wand and turned to cast the stunning spell, but I merely raised my hand in defense. I looked at him and saw his face frozen to the very core with fear dominantly present.

“Don’t poke your large nose into everyone’s business, Sir!” I sneered. I knew I looked terrifying- someone I never wanted to be, but one I had become! I had KILLED a person!

I turned to Dumbledore who had regained his posture by now and was eyeing me curiously. I could see that even the greatest wizard of his age was scared and shaken. This broke me. I never wanted to scare anyone- especially not my grandfather. But he has lied to you, a part of my brain argued. Let him explain; don’t jump to conclusions- he always has some reason; another argued.

I took a deep breath and asked him slowly, “Why did you lie to me?”

At this he became confused and asked, “What are you talking about?”

I was surprised by this- I had expected him to say that it was for my own good etcetera etcetera, but not be confused and unaware of it. So, in a slow and calculating tone, I explained whatever had happened in the Care of Magical Creatures class.

By the end of my explanation, Dumbledore didn’t say anything- he looked as though he was thinking hard. Snape had a frown on his face and asked, “What does she mean she saw them even though she hadn’t killed anyone? I saw her kill that old woman with my own eyes.”

I sighed and turned to him. By now, my anger had reduced to a great extent and my hair was flashing the sad blue color. Before, I could open my mouth, he exclaimed, “And you are a metamorphagus!”

I shoot him a glare which subsided him immediately and said, “Yes! I am a metamorphagus. And I am also the Dark Angel.”

This made him even more confused, so I explained my whole story to him- who I really was- being the Dark Angel, Armonia Diligitis and Stella Malfoy; the story behind the elf-prank; and the spell I had used to fake death. By the end of it, he was dumb-founded. He looked like a fish whose mouth was open.

Ignoring him, I turned to Dumbles and asked again, “Why did you lie to me?”

“I didn’t. Mrs. Babera Vincent is alive. Twinkle and I only left her side after she had been restored to her full health.”

I shook my head. “How could I see the thestrals then? I believe you but I need to see the woman, please, for myself. I won’t be able to concentrate on anything else otherwise.”

I rarely pleaded and because of this Dumbles knew my desperation. He held out his hand for Snape and I to take. The familiar sense of apparation filled my senses and I found myself at the door-steps of the same house I had committed the crime.

I glanced at the two, while Dumbles was smiling and encouraging me to continue, Snape was curious. We sneaked inside and I saw an old lady with the same grey hair and plump body whom I had targeted holding a baby child in her arms and cuddling it.

All my anger and disgust was replaced with joy and love. I hadn’t killed anyone; in fact I had saved a life from the prejudice of those Death Eaters! My spell had actually worked!!!

I was surprised to feel tears on my face again but this time they were of joy. Without a second thought I hugged Dumbles tightly which took him by surprise but he hugged back. We shared the moment in the embrace.

“I am so sorry I shouted and doubted you, Dumbles. I am so sorry,” I cried and exclaimed.

He put his hands on my shoulders and pulled me away. With a smile, he wiped the tears from my eyes and said, “I am happy to see the look of compassion and affection in you, Stella. You felt angry because you thought you had become someone you never wanted to be. And I forgive you for that.”

Snape who had to spoil the moment commented, “But if this woman is still alive, how did she see the animal?”

I frowned at it and Dumbles too held the same curious look. With a shake and a chuckle, he asked us to take his hand. The last thing I remember seeing was the laughing face of Barbera Vincent with the cuddly child in her arms, before being squeezed into a tube.