Excalibur: The Black Knight

Start from the beginning

"I'll just be going then," I said quickly. Before I could touch the door knob, Arthur's voice stopped me in my tracks.

"Sam, wait." I slightly peeked over my shoulder to see Arthur shifting uncomfortably by the flowers. "If I ask you something, will you promise to be honest with me?"

"I'm nothing if not honest." I tried to smirk with my response, but it didn't seem to help the situation.

"I don't know exactly how much you... saw, but could you please not tell anyone about this? The last thing I want is for rumors to starts filling every ear in the castle. Or worse, all of Camelot."

I huffed out a deep breath, finally turning around to face him and answered, "No of course not. Can't be associated with a lowly commoner. Especially one that works in the dirt with the plants."

"Sam -"

"Don't worry, Arthur. Not only did I not see much, I wouldn't blab about it to people even if I did." I looked down at my slightly pricked fingers and the light layer of dirt on my palms. Rubbing it away as best I could, I glanced back up at him to finish, "I'm not that kind of person. You don't have to worry about your princely reputation.

Arthur stepped up to me and slowly reached out to touch my hand. I brought my eyes down to watch him gently hold my hard-worked hand in his strong and clean one, but when I met Arthur's eyes I saw that he had been looking at me the whole time. "It was never my reputation that I was worried about." He said. "It wouldn't be fair for you to suffer slander over an innocent misunderstanding like this... or the undeserving consequences."

I suddenly felt myself tighten my own hold on his hand and smiled at his concern for me. I shook my head at the feeling of warmth returning to my face and replied, "That's why I trust you."

Arthur's eyes widened, showing me every shade of his beautiful blue, and I nearly got lost in how honored he was by what I said. He was also clearly as surprised as I was that I said it, but I didn't regret it either. Trying to move passed it, I said, "So, we're on the same page then. Forget this ever happened."

"Agreed," he said with his own small smile. Arthur let go of my hand and backed away over to the vase. "Thank you for the flowers, they're even more beautiful than their -" He stumbled over his words and finished, "Than I expected. Please, tell Mrs. Grover thank you as well."

"You're welcome and I will." I turned the doorknob and left his chambers, clasping my hand over and over to still feel his touch.

Those few hours couldn't have gone by faster because here I was, standing in the Hall of Ceremonies holding a bowl of cherry pottage. I could smell the aroma of delicious pork, honey bread, grilled veggies and delicious tarts. My mouth started to drool like a little puppy. What I would give to take a small nibble. I had to snap out of my food fantasy when Merlin nudged me to focus on the ceremony.

Arthur knelt down before his father as he was ready to be crowned Prince of Camelot. Uther looked down at his son and said firmly, "Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and its dominions according to the statutes, customs and laws laid down by your forebears?"

Arthur looked up at his father and responded confidently, "I do, sire."

"Do you promise to exercise mercy and justice in your deeds and judgments?"

"I do, sire."

"And do you swear allegiance to Camelot, now and for as long as you shall live?"

After taking a deep breath, the young prince said in a loud and stern voice, "I, Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limb to your service and to the protection of the kingdom and its peoples."