CHAPTER 39: A QUEEN

~GOMBE, NIGERIA~

Suhad walked back to his room after he heard the conversation between Mamita and Fatimah. He wanted to stay and talk to Fatimah but something told him now wasn't the time. And he would wait, give her the space she needs because the girl is clearly struggling.

Why are all the women he loves suffering? He wondered as he made his way over to his bed, sitting on it. He closed his eyes as he felt his temperature going up. There's only so much he could take, and he knows that. But that didn't stop the pain he felt at the moment.

He clenched his eyes shut as he tried to calm down, reaching his hand out to pick the bottle of medicine that lay on the table, his hand accidentally knocked it out and he didn't have the energy in his to pick it up. So, he laid on his side, breathing heavily as his vision blurred.

It was at that moment that the door swung open, as Jakadiya walked in with his food. "Suhad, I brought your...." She trailed off with a smile as she looked up, her smile falling from her face as her eyes widened. It took everything in her to keep the salver in her hand down and not throw it away as she ran over to him who lay on his bed, eyes squinting signifying that he's about to lose consciousness. "Yerima!" She shook his shoulders as she fell on her knees in front of the bed, meeting up with his height. "Yerima!" She repeated, more frantically as her heart beat became faster.

She looked down, desperately trying to spot anything that could help him. It was at the moment that she spotted the bottle of pills that lays on the floor. She reached her shaky hand over, and picked it up. She tried to stop her hands from shaking as she popped the bottle cap open and spilled some of the pills on her hand. She picked two up, and helped him sat up. "Don't close your eyes, kana jina? Don't you close your eyes Yerima!" She said, her voice breaking down as she saw his lips slowly losing its color, turning blue by the second.

She placed the pills by his lips, urging him to swallow it and she frantically picked up a bottle of water and made him drink it, swallowing it thanks to the last bit of consciousness he has.

Suhad took the medicine, but that didn't help with his blurred vision. And limp, he fell in her arms.

Jakadiya let out a silent wail as she wrapped her hands around the boy she considered her son, holding him close to her as if afraid that if she lets go, he'll disappear. Her heavy breathings filled up the room as her tears fell freely down her face like waterworks.

She knew he'd be okay, but that didn't stop the fear she had. She couldn't help but think if she had showed up two minutes later then it would've been too late.

She lost track of how many minutes she stood holding his unconscious body. Eventually, when her tears dried up, she laid him back on the bed. Pulling up the duvet to cover his body up. She pulled up the vanity table stool and placed it beside the bed, sitting on it. She reached her hand out and pushed his hair out of his face, the same hair she had been pleading with him to cut since he was a child but the boy was as stubborn as his mother.

She lets out a sad smile at the thought. She didn't need anyone to tell her why this happened to him, she knew already and she wasn't planning on letting it happen again.

Another thing she wasn't planning on letting happen is for Mamita or anyone else in Suhad's family to find out what just happened.

Unbeknownst to her, Mamita stood by the door Jakadiya left open amidst of fear when she ran over to Suhad. Mamita blinked back the tears that formed in her eyes as she watched her son lay in a helpless state. Another thing that hurt her was the fact that she couldn't even be there for him. Instead of her, as his mother to be there with him, someone else is. And it's all her fault, she knows and accepts that.